Best Sportsbooks in Canada 2022
Best Sportsbooks for Canadians in 2022by Bookmakers Review I Updated June 21, 2022
The best sportsbooks for Canadians are known for offering large bonuses, lightning fast payouts and competitive betting odds on sports such as hockey, football, lacrosse and basketball.
Summary: This page breaks down everything you need to know about the elite online sports betting sites that welcome Canadians.
What You Will Learn
1. The licensing process for Canadian Sportsbooks.
2. How to find the best bonuses available.
3. Where you can find free betting odds once you’ve selected a sportsbook.
Bet365’s standout feature is that they are known as a live betting powerhouse offering an incredible depth on all of their wagering markets. Players also enjoy the ability to live stream games and wager while watching the action unfold. For more information on what Bet365 offers, check out the Bet365 sportsbook review.
- Bet365 is considered the best for live betting.
- Depth of betting markets.
Pinnacle is known first and foremost for their attractive odds, which is arguably more beneficial to a sports bettor than a typical bonus program. By offering reduced juice or advantageous odds, players receive valuable savings over the course of a long season. Check out the Pinnacle sportsbook review.
- Pinnacle is renowned for their reduced juice lines.
- Accepts action from all players.
888Sport is known for accepting a wager on just about anything. The depth of their betting markets impresses even the picky professional, and these markets are complemented by a workmanlike mobile user interface. Read more about what the company offers in the 888Sport sportsbook review.
- 888Sport offers a variety of bonus promotions.
- Solid live betting interface.
BetWay sets itself apart from the rest of the competition with their competitive bonus program. Players are given various incentives to continue wagering with the sportsbook. In addition, BetWay is known for offering a healthy amount of proposition wagers on a daily basis. Check out the Betway sportsbook review.
- Betway offers an abundance of prop bets.
- Exceptional customer service.
Is Sports Betting Legal in Canada?
Yes! It is perfectly legal for anyone in Canada to sign up for an account with an online sportsbook.
Historically, Canadian Sports fans have been required to use betting sites based overseas. The local, province-owned betting sites such as ProLine+ and PlayNow were only permitted to accept parlays, as Section 207(4)(b) of the Criminal Code of Canada prohibited single-game sports betting.
The Canadian federal government has always allowed Canadians to sign up with sites based outside of the country. The world’s leading online sportsbooks have happily targeted Canadian players with CAD accounts, and deposits and withdrawals via methods such as Interac and Instadebit. For that reason, sites such as Bet365 and BetRegal are very popular in Canada.
Each province and territory can now legalize sports betting and run its own local market because the Canadian federal government overturned the single game sports betting ban in August 2021.
Operators such as Bet365 are now licensed at a local level in Ontario, meaning you benefit from provincial consumer protection laws for the first time when betting online.
Ontario was the first province to take advantage of that opportunity, however, other parts of Canada have not been so quick. In British Columbia, Québec and Alberta, the vast majority of bettors use overseas sites such as Bet365, Pinnacle, BetRegal, Bodog, and SportsInteraction for their wagers.
What Makes a Great Canadian Sportsbook?
It is great to find an online sportsbook that has actively tailored its offering towards the Canadian market. For example, Bet365 is the world’s most popular betting site, but it has modified its interface for Canadian sports bettors to put the focus firmly on sports such as hockey. Sports Interaction was specifically created for the Canadian market, and BetRegal is also a Canadian brand.
There are also some universal characteristics that the best Canadian sportsbooks share:
- Lucrative Bonuses with Realistic Rollover Requirements
- Broad Selection of Pre-Game and Live Betting Options
- Competitive Betting Odds on Hockey and Other Popular Sports
- User-Friendly Mobile and Desktop Interface
- Quick and Secure Payouts via Convenient Methods
How We Review Canadian Sportsbooks
We sign up with every online sportsbook, make a deposit with one of the available sportsbook banking methods, claim the welcome bonus and place a series of bets to test the site out. Our experts grade the sportsbook in a range of key areas:
- The Ease of the Sign-Up Process
- The Breadth of Deposit Options
- The Speed, Reliability and Quality of the Interface
- The Choice of Betting Options
- How the Odds Stack Up Against Rival Sites
- How Quickly Bets are Graded
- Payout Speeds
- The Speed and Attentiveness of the Customer Service
- The Security Measures in Place
We also speak to members of our BMR Forum community to gauge feedback on each site’s reputation and general trustworthiness.
BMR only recommends sportsbooks that have been paying out on time for many years.
Our Team of Experts
We have assembled a large team of industry veterans to compile our reviews. The team includes professional sports bettors, software developers and former industry executives that know what constitutes an elite Canadian sportsbook.
Our experts review every site that actively targets Canadian players. We also return to each site and mobile app on a regular basis to ensure high standards have been maintained. If standards slip, we will downgrade a sportsbook’s rating.
How are Sportsbooks Rated and Reviewed?
The BMR Sportsbook Rating Guide grades online sportsbooks from A+ to F.
The best online sportsbooks in Canada hold an A+ or an A rating. They are trusted, dependable sportsbooks that provide expedient payouts, competitive odds and an excellent all-round customer experience, nailing all or most of the criteria we have laid out above.
Sportsbooks with a B+ rating are very impressive, but they do not quite make the top tier, as they may have one or two minor shortcomings. A B- sportsbook is distinctly average, while a C+ sportsbook has a few minor shortcomings. Sites rated C and below are best avoided, while sites with a F rating are blacklisted, as they have scammed customers.
The Best Canadian Sportsbooks
These are some of the best Canadian sportsbooks to consider:
- Bet365 | The world’s most popular sportsbook, with a series of elite features.
- Pinnacle | The sportsbook with the best odds in the business.
- BetRegal | A user-friendly site with a huge choice of betting options and great bonuses.
- Bodog | A world-class all-round gambling site.
- Sports Interaction | A popular sportsbook developed for Canadians.
- BetOnline | A superb crypto sportsbook with appealing odds and large promos.
- BetAnySports | A reduced juice sportsbook offering discounted lines.
What Makes an Appealing Sportsbook Bonus?
There are five factors to consider when assessing the appeal of a sportsbook bonus:
- How much site credit is up for grabs?
- What percentage of my initial deposit will be matched with bonus funds?
- What is the minimum deposit required to qualify?
- Is it a cash bonus or a free play bonus?
- How many times do I need to roll the bonus funds over before cashing out?
As a rule of thumb, cash bonuses are more appealing than free play bonuses. You want to find an offer with a low rollover requirement and no minimum odds restrictions. It is also important to find a bonus that suits your budget.
Should You Remain Loyal to One Canadian Sportsbook?
There is absolutely no reason to stay loyal to a single Canadian sportsbook. If you sign up with multiple sites, which is advisable both for new bettors and professionals, you will receive lots of welcome bonuses. You can also compare the odds they are offering and choose the best terms. It will also give you access to a vast bank of betting options.
How to Find the Best Sports Betting Odds in Canada.
You can use BMR’s free betting odds comparison page to find the best lines on each game. We have listed all the key betting sites in Canada, allowing you to quickly locate the best odds on leagues such as the NFL, NHL, NBA and MLB.
You can check point spreads, moneylines and totals, either for the full game or for particular halves, quarters of periods. Just click on any odds that appeal, and you will be transported to that sportsbook’s website, where you can place your bet in seconds.
Banking Options at Sportsbooks in Canada
The best Canadian sportsbooks offer a broad choice of sportsbook banking options. These are the main methods you will find:
The deposit and withdrawal limits will vary depending on the method you select. The best sites offer instant deposits and pay customers out within a day or two after receiving withdrawal requests, and they do not charge any banking fees.