Online Gambling Washington – Legal at WA Gambling Sites?
Home to nearly 30 tribal casinos, Washington state is no stranger to offering its residents a fun gambling experience. But when it comes to gambling at online betting sites, Washington still follows what is the country’s most extreme law to prohibit it.
However, you can gamble online in the Evergreen State without fear of prosecution. All you have to do is join an offshore sportsbook.
What’s the difference between offshore sites and regulated sites? Where can you find a good offshore site with generous welcome bonuses to join?
Read on to understand what gambling activities are legal, and how to use online sportsbooks to start playing poker, betting on sports, and enjoying casino games from your favorite device in Washington today.
The Best Offshore Sportsbooks in Washington
Washington Betting Guides
We have a guide to the best Washington gambling sites and detailed guides on each of Washington State’s available online betting markets for bettors that want to learn more.
Best Washington Online Gambling Sites 2023
Our goal is to find all of the online betting sites available, grade them on a scale (A+ to F) based on our set criteria, and find the best options for you to join and enjoy the best online gambling experience in Washington.
After going through countless legal sports betting options, we came up with this top ten list of the best sportsbooks that anyone in Washington can join today.
- Bookmaker.eu – Early betting lines and elite loyalty program
- Heritage Sports – Reduced juice-cash back program is tops
- Bovada – Prop lovers and poker fans start here
- BetOnline – Opinionated lines and super-fast payouts
- BetAnySports – Play Washington’s Pick 3 lottery from home
- BetUS – Unique TV service provides expert analysis and picks
- WagerWeb – Good for crypto users
- JustBet – 24/7 customer service
- Everygame – Elite site design
- SportsBetting – BetOnline’s sister site
Each site on our list is a trustworthy offshore sportsbook based in Costa Rica, Panama, or the Caribbean, where online sports gambling has been legal for several decades now. These sites also offer online casino games.
By being offshore, that means none of these sites need regulation by the state of Washington. They only need to follow the laws in their local jurisdictions, which they do, which is why you can join them and start gambling safely online today from Washington State.
Reviews for the Top Online Gambling Sites in Washington
We believe our top ten list for online gambling sites will include something for every type of gambler in Washington State. Some are going to be better at poker than others, and some have a sportsbook you must check out if sports betting is your passion.
We make sure to touch on the strengths and weaknesses of the top 10 sites in our list with these ratings so you can find the best site for your personal preferences.
1. Bookmaker: Early Lines and Elite Rewards Program
We start our top 10 with Bookmaker.eu, our top-rated sportsbook from Costa Rica that has been around since 1996. It has earned its A+ rating for having arguably the best sportsbook in the market for those who want early lines and the best value picks for spreads and totals. Bookmaker also has a top-tier racebook with up to 8% rebates on exotic wagers.
The casino selection may only have 33 slot games, but Bookmaker lets you sort them by RTP (return-to-player rate), a nice feature to see which games are the best for players winning back their money.
Bookmaker is also crypto-friendly while offering various other payment methods. You can expect quick payments regardless of which you choose. The loyalty program is also one of the best you can join as the three-tier system offers excellent reload bonuses if you bet enough to reach the third tier.
- Sports bettors (sharps or novice) will love early lines
- Will not limit winning players
- Dedicated racebook with 8% rebates
- Deep live betting markets
- Loyal customers rewarded greatly with reload bonuses
- Bovada and BetOnline do prop picks better
- Needs to add poker tournaments to match top rivals
- Relatively small casino game selection
2. Heritage Sports: Reduced Juice-Cash Back
A+-rated Heritage Sports has been in the business for over 20 years. Originally an invite-only service, all users in Washington can join now as Heritage Sports is very welcome to North American players.
For sports bettors, the reduced juice-cash back program is a great way to get improved lines (-108 instead of -110), and every quarter, you will get cashback (win or lose) from 0.4% to 0.8% based on your betting volume. With so many live bets to partake in, you may be surprised how easy it is to rack up 500 bets to qualify for 0.8% cash back each quarter.
While there are no poker tournaments on Heritage Sports, they have a good online casino with table games, video slots, video poker, keno, and scratchcards. There are also racebook and e-sports sections if those are more your speed.
- Gives you reduced juice and cash back (not one or the other)
- Quality site design and color scheme
- One of the best options for e-sports enthusiasts
- Same-day Bitcoin payouts
- Great perks (free birthday parlays and every eighth deposit for free)
- BetOnline has much higher limits and bonuses
- Player prop bets not eligible for cashback program
- Only a $300 limit on P2P payouts
3. Bovada: Perfect for Prop Bettors and Poker Players
For those just getting into online gambling, Bovada is one of the best choices you can make for quality experiences in every facet. The sportsbook is one of the deepest with plenty of parlay and prop betting options. The racebook has some of the best site design to place your wagers on tracks across the globe. The poker room runs on the busiest network of U.S. poker players in the world where you can play tournaments and cash games. The casino has a solid selection of table games, slots, and jackpot games.
Bovada also offers mobile betting users the chance to add their app to the home screen for instant access to their bets, which is great for live betting. The welcome bonuses are generous, and it is even better if you are a crypto user as they are one of the most crypto-friendly sites in our top 10. Deposits are always secure and on time, though we would not recommend getting paid by check in 2023.
- Deep sportsbook with markets all over the world
- One of the best prop builders for NFL, NBA, MLB, etc.
- Add page to home screen on phone for easy access
- Racebook has excellent drop-down menu design
- No. 1 in poker player traffic
- Unique lottery-style numbers game offered 24/7
- Site could use a design upgrade (too much white/gray)
- Bookmaker gets earlier betting lines up
- Casino section is not as good as BetOnline or Everygame
4. BetOnline: Best for Opinionated Lines and Casino Games
Costa Rica has multiple A+-rated sites and BetOnline is surely one of the best of them. The site looks great, runs smoothly, and is one of the best sportsbooks for poker tournaments and prop picks. You also get access to exclusive sports lines for all the popular markets.
Esports and fast payments are two areas in which BetOnline may rank above all the competition. They have also been paying out customers on time for over 25 years, so you know you are dealing with a reputable company. The maximum 9% rebate on horse racing is also the best on our list.
- Exclusive lines on major sports markets
- Huge casino game selection
- Elite payment speed
- 20% weekly rebates on esports losses
- Better looking site than Bovada
- Needs more parlay flexibility on NFL markets
- Less traffic for poker than Bovada
- Minimum for check payout is high at $1,500
5. BetAnySports: Best Reduced Juice and Lottery Markets
There are sites with better bells and whistles, but BetAnySports is an excellent choice for people who just want great lines and options for sports betting on popular markets like football and basketball or obscure ones like handball and snooker. You can build props with the best of them, and you will get the best reduced juice in the market. Some sites like Heritage Sports and WagerWeb offer -108 odds instead of -110, but you can get -105 on BetAnySports. That’s a nice little edge over the competition.
Non-sports fans are not left in the cold with BetAnySports. It is the only site on our list where you can bet on the state lottery drawings from multiple states, including Washington’s Pick 3, and with 80% better payouts. It is hard to ever find a reputable or legal site that will sell you lottery tickets online, so this is a fun way to play if numbers are your game.
BetAnySports also has seven different casinos to pick from and each has its own selection of games. Live dealer games are also available, though they won’t blow you away like some of the competition.
- No one does reduced juice (-105) better
- A prop builder that rivals Bovada and BetOnline
- Play multiple state lotteries from your phone with 80% better payouts
- Offers seven different casinos
- Site reportedly runs on shoestring budget and it shows some in design
- Prop picks are not eligible for bonus funds
6. BetUS: Get Expert Analysis Unlike Any Other
The self-proclaimed “America’s Favorite Sportsbook” is certainly in the mix for that distinction. You will be treated with great welcome bonuses that are unique in the way they split up the bonus to be used for both the casino and sportsbook.
You’ll want to try out everything BetUS has to offer, which includes a casino and racebook to go along with the meaty sportsbook. The other feature that sets BetUS apart from the competition is its BetUS TV service which provides expert analysis and predictions in the form of shows for all the sports markets you can imagine. The site also does a great job of providing helpful guides that should make you a better gambler.
The online casino is one of the best in the industry with a chance to play free demo versions of unique slots and scratchcards for games based on popular media franchises like Squid Game and Dragon Ball. There are also tournaments to enter for blackjack, roulette, and video poker.
- Been in business since 1994
- Good sign-up bonuses for crypto users
- Watch expert analysis on BetUS TV service
- Daily casino promotions
- Play casino games for fun (free demos)
- The best online casino for fans of blackjack
- Poker tournaments are video poker only
- Site is prettier to look at than it is to navigate
- More payment options needed in 2023 like P2P and eWallet
7. WagerWeb: Fast Bitcoin Payouts
Established in 1994, WagerWeb is a Costa Rica-based site with an A-rating from BMR. It is another sportsbook with reduced juice lines (-108) for the sportsbook as it follows in many of the same footsteps as Heritage Sports, which we rate higher. There is also an adequate live betting section, over 200 casino games, and a racebook.
Why did we rank WagerWeb five spots lower than Heritage Sports when they do a lot of similar things? WagerWeb loses some points for its customer service not being offered 24/7. Their hours of operation are from 10:00 a.m. through the last half-time or game of the day. They also do not accept Discover credit cards, and some of their welcome offers are only for crypto deposit methods.
- Reduced juice (-108) and cashback like Heritage Sports
- Weekly free NFL contest to join
- Always free Bitcoin payouts
- Online since 1994
- Non-NFL markets have decreased limits
- Customer service is not 24/7
- P2P withdrawals capped at $300 and not available on Sundays
8. JustBet: 24/7 Customer Service
Bookmaker.eu purchased JustBet back in 2013, so you know it is a reliable and trustworthy company to join. You also can count on getting access to early sports lines, a good racebook, live betting markets, and a Vegas-style casino with plenty of variety.
The complaint we have with JustBet is that it does not offer much of anything new that you can’t already get from Bookmaker. They should have aimed for a more visually-pleasing casino or added poker tournaments, but instead, you get a site that is arguably worse looking than Bookmaker, which has evolved plenty since 1996.
- Bookmaker’s sister site, so you know it’s trustworthy
- Racebook offers 8% cash rebate on exotic wagers (3% on W/P/S)
- Offers 24/7 customer service
- Reward program can offer up to 20% cash on reload bonuses
- Can’t make parlays with correlated plays from same game (i.e. can’t parlay run lines with totals in same baseball game)
- Bookmaker is better
- Casino is generic looking compared to rivals
9. Everygame: Best Mobile Site
Everygame is an Antigua-based site with an A-rating on BMR. Starting in 1996, the company formerly known as Intertops rebranded itself as Everygame to celebrate its 25th anniversary. The rebranding also came with a sleek web design that is as good as any in the market, and they offer downloadable poker software. You can also play free demo versions of casino games, which is not a standard feature for these offshore sites, but certainly appreciated by people wanting to practice a game before playing for cash.
Beyond the site design, a big strength that makes Everygame stand out is the way it lives up to its new name. If you want to bet on table tennis, cricket, or other lesser-known sports markets, you can do it. You also have live betting as an option now after the site recently included it, a necessity in today’s online gambling world.
But to show off just how unique some of the betting markets are at Everygame, you can literally bet on the South African Powerball drawing. You cannot buy a Powerball ticket on Everygame, but you can bet on the first ball to be drawn out (exact or over/under) or what the exact Powerball number is. This is available for both the United States and South Africa drawings.
If a great-looking online casino with poker and a deep sportsbook is what you crave, then Everygame delivers a fine gaming experience for users in Washington. New users can receive up to $750 as a sign-up bonus spread out over their first three deposits.
- Bet on just about anything with deep markets
- Accepts major credit cards for deposits
- Sleekest site design
- Free downloadable poker software
- Play free demo versions on a great casino
- Lacks a racebook
- Bank wire payment transfers can take 10-15 days
- Could use more customer service contact methods
10. SportsBetting.ag: 50% Sports Welcome Bonus
Our final member of the top 10 did not score any points for creative site name, but SportsBetting was wise to model itself after BetOnline, our No. 4 offshore site. Like with BetOnline, you can expect fast payouts, generous bonuses, and quality across the board from the sportsbook to the casino, poker room, and esports hub with games like Brawl Stars and King of Glory.
The promotion page is one of the best designed and offers plenty of interesting choices most of the other books do not have. For instance, you can get up to $50 back on an NHL under bet if the over hits from one team’s scoring total alone. You also can get a boost on esports parlay wins with five legs or more (up to a 60% boost on a 12-leg parlay) as well as 20% rebates each week on esports losses.
- Plenty of promotions to try beyond the large bonuses
- BetOnline’s quality sister site
- Specialty casino games (keno and scratchcards)
- Esports parlay boosters
- Fast payouts
- Sportsbook menu design is inferior to BetOnline
- Needs to offer reduced juice for more markets than NHL
- Sports news page needs updated (shows links from 2016-17)
Washington State Online Gambling – The Top Sites Compared
Still not sure which online gambling site to join? We have compiled the following chart as a handy summary of our top 10 and how they stack up in grade, years of service, and payment methods, amongst other factors.
|Sportsbook||Rating||Online Since||Payment Methods||Read Review|
|Bookmaker||A+||1996||Credit Card, Bitcoin, P2P, Crypto||Bookmaker.eu Review|
|Heritage Sports||A+||2001||Credit Card, Bitcoin, Cashiers Check, Bank Transfer, P2P||Heritage Sports Review|
|Bovada||A+||2011||Credit Card, Bitcoin||Bovada Review|
|BetOnline||A+||2001||Credit Card, Bitcoin, Crypto, Cashiers Check, Bank Transfer, P2P||BetOnline Review|
|BetAnySports||A+||2002||Credit Card, Bitcoin, Electronic Check||BetAnySports Review|
|BetUS||A||2000||Credit Card, Bitcoin, Bank Transfer, P2P||BetUS Review|
|WagerWeb||A||1994||Credit Card, Bitcoin, Cashiers Check, Bank Transfer, P2P||WagerWeb Review|
|JustBet||A||2000||Credit Card, Bitcoin, P2P, Crypto||JustBet Review|
|Everygame||A||1996||Credit Card, Bitcoin, Skrill, Neteller, Bank Transfer, P2P||Everygame Review|
|SportsBetting||A||2002||Credit Card, Bitcoin, Crypto, Cashiers Check, Bank Transfer, P2P||SportsBetting Review|
Our industry experts have rated the following sportsbooks with an A+-rating for their outstanding commitment to providing their customers with the best betting experience possible: Bookmaker, Heritage Sports, Bovada and BetOnline.
Is online gambling legal in Washington?
In 2006, Washington State passed a bill that made online gambling illegal. What constitutes gambling? It is when the following three elements are all present: consideration (your money wager or something of value), a game of chance, and a prize for the winner. This basically made everything from online poker to online sports bets illegal in the Evergreen State. Only horse race betting is reliably legal for something you can bet online in Washington. Even Daily Fantasy Sports are outlawed in the state.
Worse, the bill raised the penalty from a misdemeanor to a Class C Felony, which is punishable by years in prison and a hefty fine depending on the degree to which you violate it. This is considered the most extreme anti-gambling law in the country. While it was challenged in 2010, a judge upheld it and it is still the law today.
This is why Washington players are using offshore sportsbooks such as Bookmaker, Bovada, BetOnline, and Heritage Sports to satisfy their online gambling needs. They are safe to join and will pay you real money for your winnings.
Those looking for legal sports betting in a local setting in Washington state are stuck with only one option. There is now a retail sportsbook at each of the 30 tribal casinos across the state.
History of Gambling in Washington State
The history of gambling in Washington is a contentious one. Let this following timeline of historical events serve as a guide for the struggle to get any forms of gambling legalized in the Evergreen State:
- 1889 – Washington is established as a state, and its original constitution declares lotteries and all forms of gambling to be prohibited activities.
- 1902 – The Meadows opens, becoming Seattle’s first popular racetrack. Track betting starts to occur.
- 1909 – Gambling is banned by theWashington State Legislature, leading to the end of Seattle’s first racetrack.
- 1933 – The Washington Horse Racing Commission (WHRC) is formed to regulate horse races and betting on horse racing across the state.
- 1933 – Following an impressive five-month construction, the Longacres racetrack is quickly opened in Renton.
- 1971 – Bingo and raffles are legalized in the state.
- 1974 – Card rooms are accepted and begin hosting poker games.
- 1980 – Two legislative leaders, John Bagnariol and Gordon Walgren, are charged with conspiring with undercover FBI agents to allow illegal gambling in Washington State in exchange for a share of the profits. This became known as the “Gamscam” scandal.
- 1982 – Washington introduces a state-sanctioned lottery game during a state budget crisis.
- 1988 – Congress authorizes the Indian Gaming Regulatory Act, allowing Native American tribes to build casinos in the country.
- 1992 – The Lummi and Tulalip tribes open the first tribal casinos in Washington.
- 1992 – The racetrack at Longacres closes, ending the West Coast’s longest-running Thoroughbred track.
- 1996 – Emerald Downs, still the go-to spot for Washington horse racing today, opens in Auburn.
- 1997 – Card rooms offering blackjack and other table games are allowed to operate in the state off of tribal grounds.
- 1999 – Electronic slot machines are put into use in tribal casinos.
- 2004 – The WHRC approves advance deposit wagering on horse racing, which allows bettors from off-track locations to wager.
- 2006 – State lawmakers pass an amendment to make online gambling illegal and a Class C felony, punishable by 5-to-10 years in prison and a fine of $10,000.
- 2010 – The 2006 law to make online gambling illegal is upheld by a judge.
- 2018 – The Supreme Court overturns the Professional and Amateur Sports Protection Act (PASPA), a 1992 ruling that essentially banned sports betting in the country. This reversal opens the doors for states to legalize sports betting.
- 2020 – A bill is passed in Washington to legalize sports betting at tribal casinos. Betting on in-state collegiate teams is still illegal.
- 2021 – Snoqualmie Casino introduces the state’s first sportsbook for in-person bets and also begins accepting online bets from those using the casino’s app while on tribal ground.
- 2022 – More than 10 tribal casinos in the state – with more expected to join – have retail sportsbooks deals with partners such as FanDuel, BetMGM, DraftKings, and Caesars.
Current State of Online Sports Gambling in Washington
Progress for legal online sports betting has been slow around the country, but you can see things are picking up since the overturning of PASPA in 2018. Over 30 states are in the process of legalizing sports betting, and that number is only going up.
Unfortunately, Washington is slower to adopt certain elements of sports gambling that other states have no issue with. For example, Washington is one of a handful of states that still prohibits Daily Fantasy Sports (DFS) from the likes of DraftKings and FanDuel. Also, while most states that legalize betting prohibit markets for prop picks on collegiate games, Washington does not let its residents bet on in-state collegiate teams in any way (moneyline, spread, total, etc.) even at the tribal casinos where it is legal to bet on sports.
Things are better than they were four years ago or even in early 2020, but it is still going to take some time to get the state to offer regulated, fully legal sports gambling online.
Advantages of Online Gambling Washington Sites
Washington State has nearly 30 tribal casinos to visit in addition to many smaller card rooms and racinos for those that are interested in land-based gambling. The ports of Seattle even have cruises with gambling available, but a lot of times people just want to gamble on their favorite handheld device from the comfort of their homes.
Here are some of the best advantages of online wagering in Washington with the use of reputable offshore sportsbooks like the ones we have reviewed above over gambling at physical casinos:
- Most online sites are a one-stop shop for all your gambling needs (sportsbooks, racebooks, casino games, slots, table games, poker, lottery-style games, and more) and often have a wide selection of games and bet types to choose from
- Online is the only place in Washington to bet on in-state collegiate teams
- Enjoy a variety of transaction methods, including crypto, that you won’t be able to use at a tribal or land-based casino
- Receive your payments quickly right into your preferred account
- Get access to more useful bonuses, including generous welcome bonuses, reload bonuses, enhanced odds in the sportsbook, and other perks that most land-based casinos won’t be able to offer you
- Protect yourself during the pandemic (COVID) from venturing out into crowds
- Enjoy leisurely, private gambling at any hour of the day
- Don’t need to touch dirty cash
- No need to spend money on gas driving out to a casino that may be distant
- Try free demo versions of games offered by several online casinos
Is my financial info safe with an online gambling site in Washington?
It is understandable if you have second thoughts about sending personal (name, address, email, etc.) and financial account info to online sites located in other countries.
But we can ensure you that the sites we have reviewed in this list have been vetted heavily and are trustworthy, reputable, and legitimate companies that you feel safe using.
If you still do not want to use traditional payment methods such as debit cards, credit cards (American Express, Mastercard, Visa) or bank transfers on one of those sites, then you will have plenty of other options ranging from P2P apps, eWallets, and crypto options (including Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash, Ethereum).
Make Your Best Bets Online in Washington
It could be years before you are placing sports bets and playing slot games on your phone from a state-regulated casino like so many other states are allowing right now. Instead of waiting for that day, why not try an offshore sportsbook that we have reviewed for you in this guide? We feel confident that they all will provide a safe and fun gambling experience. If you are still unsure of which one is right for you, we have a few recommendations based on which form of gambling you prefer:
- For those most interested in global sports betting, try Bookmaker.eu, BetAnySports, and Heritage Sports.
- For those most interested in poker, try Bovada, BetOnline, and Everygame.
FAQ – Washington Online Gambling
Technically, the answer is yes, but you are very limited in what would qualify as a legal form of an online betting site in Washington State. Most of the forms of online gambling users will want to engage in are not legal in the state of Washington.
Washington’s few legal forms of online gambling include horse racing and sports betting within very specific parameters. You can also play the Washington Lottery in the state, which helps to fund education. Washington State has very limited gambling options overall unless you use offshore online sports betting sites for online or mobile gambling.
You can bet on sports using an app, but only if you are physically located at a tribal casino when you make the bet. Washington is also one of the few states in the country where Daily Fantasy Sports (DFS with DraftKings and FanDuel) are illegal.
Under Washington State’s online gambling laws, you will need to gamble online while physically inside a tribal casino or with offshore casinos or offshore mobile casinos.
You will need to use offshore gambling sites to legally place online sports bets unless you want to bet while at a tribal casino.
No one knows for sure. It could take years, but the fact is things look better now for gambling in Washington than they did just a few years ago before sports betting was legalized, albeit in a limited form, back in 2020.
It would also be nice to see Washington repeal its Draconian 2006 anti-gambling law. If the day of legal, state-regulated online gambling is ever going to come to Washington, then that law will have to finally go away. Until then, you can use offshore online casino sites or offshore gambling apps to get access to online gambling options.
The minimum legal age for gambling in Washington State is 18 years of age. At casinos and places with alcohol served, you must be at least 21 years old. Most of the offshore sportsbooks only require that you be at least 18.
Imagine your team is in the Super Bowl for only the third time in its existence. And you’d like to show your support for your hometown team by betting on them, but you can’t do so with U.S.-licensed sportsbooks. That’s because your state, although surrounded by jurisdictions that offer legal sports betting, isn’t on board.
All systems are nearly going for a new casino in an old mall 10 minutes away from Penn State, but there are still hurdles to climb before the project breaks ground and fosters the growth of sports betting in Pennsylvania. Industry Veteran Funds New Casino A former chairman of the Penn State Board of Trustees,
It’s the start of a new era in the state of Massachusetts after the retail sports betting market went live this morning. As of 10:00 AM EST, the Bay State became the 34th jurisdiction in the country to go live after the Supreme Court of the United States struck down the PASPA act back on
Mobile sports betting passed in the Tar Heel State Senate yet failed by only three votes in the House last year. However, the General Assembly meets back up for its 2023 session, which commenced on January 25th, and it appears as though online sports betting in North Carolina will not only resurface, but prospects are