Sports Betting in Texas – Is It Legal?
David is a freelance sports journalist who comes from West Midlands. He specializes in sports content, both written and visual. With an impressive record in pre-fight predictions, David is quickly becoming recognized in his field for his in-depth fight analysis and impressive contender & fight history knowledge.
The battle for sports betting in Texas lies in waiting, making the Lone Star State one of the few holdouts in the U.S. since PASPA was overturned. Several bills have been introduced but none of them made it to the 2023 legislative session.
Even though Texas doesn’t have its own sports betting scene, residents can still bet on a variety of sports using offshore sites. In our guide, we can help you start betting today.
The Best Sportsbooks in TX
Best Texas Sports Betting Sites 2023
Finding the most reputable sports betting establishments in Texas can be daunting, but our dedicated experts have already done the hard work, so you don’t have to. The lack of retail sportsbooks for in-person sports betting in Texas is nothing to worry about, either.
Below you will find the top 10 sites for sports bets in Texas. You can rest assured that our high-level advisers have vigorously tested a wide range of sportsbooks available to compile this list.
- BetOnline – Offers same-day payouts and opinionated lines on hundreds of events.
- BookMaker – Provides some of the sharpest lines and high wagering limits.
- Heritage Sports – Delivers exceptional customer service and impeccable live betting service.
- Bovada – Has a vast selection of betting options with flawless mobile operations.
- Everygame – Covers more games than most competitors.
- BetAnySports – Presents customers with reduced juice and low house edges on moneylines.
- WagerWeb – Is known for its Bitcoin options and speedy payouts.
- BetUS – Boasts some of the most significant bonuses for new and loyal customers.
- JustBet – Is an excellent live betting platform with early lines and strong betting limits.
- GTBets – Provides high-level security and highly responsive 24/7 customer service.
The aforementioned sportsbooks are offshore. Because they don’t operate in the United States, these sports betting sites can provide services to anybody residing in the state of Texas and beyond. You can bet on college teams, play casino games and, of course, bet on your favorite professional teams worry-free.
Contrary to popular belief, offshore sportsbooks are wholly legal and open to use for any residents in the United States, and here at Bookmakers Review, we explore a wide range of factors and only suggest online betting sites that pay out on time and treat their customers to a high standard in addition to offering numerous bet types.
Is sports betting legal in Texas?
The simple answer is, no, sports betting in Texas is not yet legal. Thanks to the introduction of several bills ahead of the 2023 legislative session, many residents expected to be betting on the NFL by the 2023 kickoff. Unfortunately, all efforts have been tabled until at least 2025.
Sports betting in Texas made its first step toward legalization during the 2021 legislative session. Various bills arose to support the legal sports betting market, but the next opportunity won’t arrive until 2023 because of the Texas Legislature’s two-yearly meeting schedule.
Legal sports betting in Texas hasn’t been short of supporters, including gubernatorial candidate Beto O’Rourke and a collection of big-name Texas sports teams. Jerry Jones, owner of the Dallas Cowboys, and Mark Cuband of the Dallas Mavericks have openly supported legal sports betting in Texas.
Should the Lone Star State introduce legal sports betting in the near future, it would evolve into one of the top competitors in the United States sports betting scene. It’s just hard to say when that will be.
With that said Texas residents don’t need to wait for the approval of their state to bet on the 2023 NFL season. Anybody in the United States can make great use of an offshore sportsbook, including the avid sports bettors of Texas. There are no legalities that can prevent you from registering with an offshore sportsbook, but you should always follow our comprehensive guides to find the best online sports Texas sports betting sites as chosen by our experts.
We’ve done all of the hard work, so you don’t have to. You can simply read our expert reviews and ensure a high-quality user experience, prompt payout, and excellent customer service when choosing an offshore bookmaker recommended by ourselves.
The Best Texas Sportsbook Reviews
Save your valuable time searching for the best Texas sports betting site, because we’ve done most of the work. Below you’ll find the Mount Rushmore of sports betting options available in TX, where our experts have put the best to the test and formulated a ranking system to guide you toward the best sportsbooks in Texas.
1. BetOnline: Fast Payouts & The Best Opinionated Lines
BetOnline is unquestionably one of the business’s most renowned offshore online sportsbooks. Supplementing customers with speedier payouts than most of their rivals, they also provide high-value odds across a vast range of sporting events. Most notably, BetOnline has excelled in delivering opinionated lines. Whether you’re new to the world of sports betting or a veteran bettor, BetOnline will offer something valuable to everybody involved.
After operating its online casino and sportsbook for over 25 years, BetOnline has become synonymous with its ultra-quick payout system. They give bettors significant betting limits and the opportunity to live-stream events. Moneyline odds at BetOnline are supplemented with opinionated lines, which makes finding value for long-term bettors very simplistic due to the positive expected value (EV) it yields.
Initial registrars signing up to BetOnline will notice the glorious welcome bonuses offered. You can choose from a 100% free play bonus (up to $1,000) as a first-time cryptocurrency depositor, or you can receive a 50% free play bonus (up to $1,000) for those wanting to use alternative banking options.
Adding to the enticement, returning customers aren’t left in the dark either. A 35% free play bonus ( up to $350) for crypto reload deposits of at least $20 are available, and a 25% free play bonus with the same guidelines is available to alternative banking methods.
- Always pays their customers promptly
- Professional interface and layout
- Opinionated lines and large betting limits
- A lack of proposition bets compared to rivals
- $50 fee on check withdrawals
- Minor complaints about the poker software
2. BookMaker: Sharpest Lines and High Wagering Limits
Bookmaker.eu has catered to professional sports bettors and newcomers for decades. Known for their sharp lines and high betting limits that appease veteran gamblers, they additionally provide an easy-to-use interface, low minimum wagering limits and various bonuses for the newbies. If you’re loyal to Bookmaker.eu, you’ll be rewarded through their excellent loyalty program that gives customers Betpoints that can be redeemed in multiple ways, such as prizes and bonuses for continued wagering.
Many of the world’s sharpest professional gamblers make great use of BookMaker because of the company’s policy that never removes or limits a winning bettor. With a risk management department that excels in odds-making, the house is always guaranteed its profit no matter how high or low its volume may be. The BookMaker casino blends seamlessly with the sportsbook, offering an expanded avenue for entertainment and opportunities to win.
- Decades of experience in the sports betting business
- Fast releases of NFL and NCAAF betting lines
- Extremely high betting limits can be as high as $50,000 on NFL sides
- Professional bettors lose their rights to participate in the loyalty program
- No poker rooms
- No reduced lines
3. Heritage Sports: Impeccable Live Betting Service
Looking for fantastic live betting options and market-leading odds? Look no further. Heritage Sports has long been a leading player in the sports betting stratosphere, offering an abundance of positive reasons why they’re worth becoming a customer.
The website is straightforward to navigate on all devices, and they offer cash back rebates and many alternative promotional options. Regarding customer service, Heritage Sports is often a step above the rest, and sports bettors will be delighted to witness the plethora of proposition wagers made available. The variety doesn’t stop there either, because Heritage Sports operates a casino with slots, tables games and more.
Lastly, Heritage Sports pays their customers in full and on time, which many online sportsbooks can’t adhere to. And for those using Bitcoin as a deposit/withdrawal method, your funds can be withdrawn on the same day without any added fees.
- Straightforward to navigate/operate sports betting interface
- Reduced juice on multiple betting lines and unique promotional offers
- Great live betting options
- No online poker room
- Sign-up bonuses aren’t as significant as other sites
4. Bovada: Vast Selection of Betting Options
Bovada sets a high standard in the offshore bookmaking world, quickly becoming a favorite for Texas sports betting enthusiasts. With a vast selection of sports available to bet on, it also provides a massive online casino and a racebook. It has also become the most popular online poker room in America.
Bovada is likely the sportsbook you require if you’re looking for options. It’s built a reputation for providing a wide selection of prop bets, including some of the most obscure categories in entertainment and props that are low-risk and, sometimes, almost guaranteed to cash in.
- A more extensive selection of wagers than most competitors.
- The most popular poker room in the U.S.
- Mobile-friendly with smooth optimization.
- Small rollover requirements for bonuses.
- Betting limits can sometimes be lower than competitors.
- Betting lines may be a bit slower than other sites.
5. Everygame: Plenty of Sports Leagues and Betting Markets
Formerly known as Intertops, Everygame rebranded its platform in 2021 and hasn’t looked back. Despite the noticeable name change, it’s difficult to challenge the experience of this company, which is the oldest online sportsbook in history. While they don’t cover every game on the planet, it’ll be challenging to find a rival that can provide more sporting events than Everygame.
In addition to its excellent sports betting service, Everygame has earned a reputation for its impressive online casino. Bettors can take a break from their sports wagers and enjoy the popular poker rooms that cater to all skill levels.
- Provides betting lines for worldwide sporting events
- A simple-to-use mobile interface
- More sports leagues than most of its competitors
- Small bonuses
- Customer verification can sometimes be prolonged
6. BetAnySports: Reduced Juice and Low House Edges
Online sports bettors in Texas hunting for the best value should look closer into BetAnySports. This online sportsbook has some of the best reduced betting lines in the business, often giving -105 odds on a spread or total instead of the typical -110 you’d see on most competitor sites. This discount on price is huge for long-term bettors, who’re technically receiving a 50% discount on odds of -105 that are -110 at most other books.
Value can also be found on BetAnySports moneyline wagers; the house edge is typically lower than other sportsbooks and for the value hunters, look no further. They provide a wide selection of prop bets, and you can put their incredible value to use in parlays if you desire.
To provide such fantastic value for bettors, their reduced juice model does arrive with flaws like their need to operate on low margins and provide fewer sports betting promos. Overall, BetAnySports is an excellent Texas sports betting site for secure and trustworthy withdrawals and, most importantly, incredible betting odds.
- Reduced juice for sides and totals (-105)
- Some of the best moneyline, props and future betting odds
- Fast payouts and a trustworthy reputation
- Smaller bonuses in comparison to direct competitors
- Less desirable interface when compared to rival sportsbooks
7. WagerWeb: Reduced Juice and Speedy Payouts
Sports bettors from Texas have long enjoyed the services of WagerWeb, a company that’s been an established online bookmaker since 1994. WagerWeb is an idealistic choice for those seeking well-experienced, high-quality online sports betting in Texas.
Similar to its sister-site Heritage Sports, WagerWeb prides itself on its reduced juice options and various available bonuses.
In addition to an impressive sportsbook, you’ll also find an in-depth casino and racebook, known as “the player’s choice.” Customers will receive highly competitive racebook and casino rebates, as well as prompt Bitcoin payouts.
- Reduced juice as low as -108
- Various bonus options
- Fast approving payouts
- Low betting limits
- Feeless fiat-based withdrawals are limited
8. BetUS: Large Welcome Bonus
Bonus hunters should pay attention to the offerings at BetUS sportsbooks as they’re one of the best bonus providers in the business. The introductory welcome bonus is 125%, which can ultimately gift new customers up to $2,500 in bonus credits and $625 in casino credits.
The bonus fun doesn’t stop with welcome promos either; reload bonuses and promotions are regularly offered to customers, and it becomes apparent they’re a company willing to go the extra mile. Upon arrival, you’ll notice the elegant interface, and their odds are relatively fair. You’ll also notice the BetUS TV tab that provides featured video content, analysis, and betting predictions for its visitors.
BetUS once owned a negative reputation, but we’ve noticed a dramatic change following the arrival of new management. They pay customers promptly and have done so for many years, making them one of the most trusted bookmakers for online sports betting in Texas.
- Large bonuses for new and old customers
- An extensive esports betting hub with live options
- Wide variety of types of sports bets offered
- Slower line releases than direct competitors
- High rollover requirements on bonuses
9. JustBet: Live Betting Experts
JustBet is the sister site to Bookmaker.eu – the No.2 Texas sports betting operator, so you already know you’re in good hands. They offer similar practices to BookMaker, including simple navigation, early lines, and high betting limits.
Much like its sister, JustBet provides exciting promos as well as a loyalty program for dedicated customers. Although it’s not quite as popular as BookMaker, it still deserves a position on our list as one of the best sports betting sites Texas bettors can utilize.
- Impressive live betting options
- Betting lines are released earlier than most
- A tempting welcome bonus of up to $500
- No poker room
- No reduced juice lines
10. GTBets: The Best Security & Customer Service
GTBets is an exceptional Texas sports betting site with a huge sign-up bonus, incredible odds and various promotions to cater to everyone. Originally branded Game Time Bets when they entered the market in 2011, a rebranding to GTBets was a simplistic approach and certainly suited the nature of the company.
Football fans in Texas will be delighted to know the sportsbook provides reduced juice odds for betting on the NFL and NCAAF; this includes sides and totals (-109). In addition, specific promotions will give bettors the chance to bet on spreads for their favorite NFL team at half a point lower.
- Reduced juice football lines
- 24/7 customer service available
- A notable track history in their security record
- Occurring charges on withdrawal fees
- Large rollovers on bonus points
Sports Betting in Texas – A Timeline of the Latest News & Developments
Because the Texas State Legislature meets every two years, and the most recent meeting took place in 2023, sports betting legislation in TX won’t come to fruition until 2025 at the earliest. Here is a look back at the progress in the state so far:
- 2023: By February, three more bills are introduced – HJR 97, SB 715 and HB 1942 – to regulate gambling within the state. Sports betting legend Mattress Mack voices his disapproval of the initiatives.
- 2023: Senate Joint Resolution 17 (SJR 17) is proposed in January. The resolution proposes the creation of a Texas Gaming Commission, which would regulate gambling in the state.
- 2022: In light of the 2022 NFL season-opening week, the Texas Sports Betting Alliance reiterated that sports betting isn’t legal in Texas due to legal challenges. The Alliance also predicts the Lone Star state could see more than $278 million in its first two years of business.
- 2022: A marketing deal between Rush Street Interactive and the Frisco Fighters from the Indoor Football League has been established. Later in the month, it is reported that the Texas Sports Betting Alliance is working vigorously to prepare for the 2023 legislative session. Their primary focus is to translate the importance of legalizing sports betting in Texas.
- 2022: On July 1st, opposing groups from Congress – including Texas legislators – came together and collectively sent a letter requesting the Department of Justice take action against offshore sportsbooks in order to crack down on online sports betting sites. On July 22nd, Texas businessman Mattress Mack made headlines with a $2 million bet on the Houston Astros to win the World Series.
- 2022: A ruling from the U.S. Supreme Court prevented Texas from preventing tribal-ran e-bingo. This could be good news for those who wanted more changes to Texas’ online gambling rules.
- 2022: BetMGM partnered with the Houston Astros, one of the first major U.S. sportsbook deals in the Lone Star state.
The support for passing sports betting bills, and legislation for other forms of gambling, in Texas, is snowballing, but the political hurdles must be overcome before the topic can be presented to voters for them to legalize sports betting via a Constitutional amendment.
However, analysts expect a considerable shift between now and the next meeting of the Texas State Legislature.
Texas Sports Betting Teams
As the second most populated U.S. state, it should be no surprise that Texas is the home of several national sports league franchises, among other professional sports.
The most notable professional sports teams in Texas are:
- Austin FC – MLS – (Major League Soccer)
- Dallas Cowboys – NFL – (National Football League)
- Dallas Mavericks – NBA – (National Basketball Association)
- Dallas Stars – NHL – (National Hockey League)
- Dallas Wings – WNBA – (Women’s National Basketball Association)
- FC Dallas – MLS – (Major League Soccer)
- Houston Astros – MLB – (Major League Baseball)
- Houston Dash – NWSL – (National Women’s Soccer League)
- Houston Dynamo – MLS – (Major League Soccer)
- Houston Rockets – NBA – (National Basketball Association)
- Houston Texans – NFL – (National Football League)
- San Antonio Spurs – NBA – (National Basketball Association)
- Texas Rangers – MLB – (Major League Baseball)
At the top online sports betting sites, you can bet on all of your favorite major sports teams and college teams, as there are more than a dozen Division I teams in Texas.
How to Bet on Sports in Texas
The Lone Star state hasn’t legalized sports betting on a regional basis, but that doesn’t prevent Texas bettors from getting in on the action. Texans must simply register with an offshore sportsbook to bet on sports in Texas. Offshore bookmakers aren’t required to adhere to the legislature of Texas or the federal government, so finding the most reliable and trustworthy sportsbooks is imperative.
Here at Bookmakers Review, we have carefully studied hundreds of offshore betting sites to create our rating guide for the top online betting sites.
Sportsbooks that have gained an A+ rating have served Texas sports bettors for countless years, and our experts highly recommend these providers. An A+ sportsbook will own a reputation for paying out to their customers promptly, so they’re the best choice for sports fans in Texas who require a trustworthy source for online sports wagering.
Signing up for an offshore sportsbook usually takes a couple of minutes. You then simply make a deposit, claim your welcome bonus and proceed to place your first wager.
Until the legalization of sports betting hits the state of Texas, offshore sites remain the best choice, as they are located across international waters and aren’t subject to Texas’ laws. That means that users will also have fewer restrictions when online betting. Texas players will be able to wager on college sports and major sports from all over the world; they will also find a wide range of different types of bets.
Compare the Best Texas Betting Sites & Sportsbooks
|Sportsbook||Rating||Online Since||Payment Methods||Read Review|
|BookMaker||A+||1996||Credit Card, Bitcoin, P2P, Crypto||Bookmaker.eu Review|
|Heritage Sports||A+||2001||Credit Card, Bitcoin, Cashiers Check, Bank Transfer, P2P||Heritage Sports Review|
|Bovada||A+||2011||Credit Card, Bitcoin||Bovada Review|
|BetOnline||A+||2001||Credit Card, Bitcoin, Crypto, Cashiers Check, Bank Transfer, P2P||BetOnline Review|
|Everygame||A||1996||Credit Card, Bitcoin, Skrill, Neteller, Bank Transfer, P2P||Everygame Review|
|BetAnySports||A+||2002||Credit Card, Bitcoin, Electronic Check||BetAnySports Review|
|BetUS||A||2000||Credit Card, Bitcoin, Bank Transfer, P2P||BetUS Review|
|WagerWeb||A||1994||Credit Card, Bitcoin, Cashiers Check, Bank Transfer, P2P||WagerWeb Review|
|JustBet||A||2000||Credit Card, Bitcoin, P2P, Crypto||JustBet Review|
|GTBets||A||2011||Credit Card, Bitcoin, Crypto||GTBets Review|
Texas Betting Guides
Explore a wide range of betting options, from sports betting to horse race betting with our guides to online gaming in the Lone Star State.
- Sports Betting Apps
- Gambling Sites
- Horse Racing
- Online Casinos
- San Antonio Casinos
- Dallas Casinos
- Houston Casinos
FAQs – Online Sports Betting in Texas
Texans can bet on their favorite major sports teams like the Houston Rockets or the Houston Dynamo using an offshore sportsbook. Offshore sites accept customers from all over the United States.
Texas does not have its own sports betting market. For that reason, sports fans can only wager on sports using offshore sports betting sites in Texas. These sites offer wagering on professional sports teams, online casino gambling and more.
There are no locally-regulated mobile sports betting operators authorized in Texas. The best online options for sports betting in Texas all offer full-optimized sites for mobile sports betting because they do not have native apps.
Texas has not issued any sports betting licenses, so major operators like DraftKings are not available yet. Until sports betting legislation passes, Texans can wager on sports using offshore sportsbooks like Bovada.
Sports gambling has been illegal in Texas for years. Fortunately for sports fans, offshore sports betting sites do not need to follow Texas gambling laws or the laws of the United States.
West Flagler Associates’ recent motion to stay was denied last week but that doesn’t necessarily mean that the Seminole Tribe will be relaunching its mobile sports betting or initiating Florida sports betting quite yet. Legal Battle Continues West Flagler Associates (WFA) has been in a legal battle with several parties including the Department of the
Boston-based company, Rithmm, has introduced a game-changing subscription that empowers sports fans with AI predictions for informed betting.
Florida Sports Betting: Pari-Mutuel Companies Seek Supreme Court Intervention in Seminole Tribe Deal
Following a decision by the federal appeals court that was not in their favor, two pari-mutuel companies have a request for the Florida Supreme Court. This particular section confers predominant authority over Florida sports betting to the Seminole Tribe throughout the state. A lawsuit was submitted to the high court, alleging that Florida Gov. Ron
The long-anticipated launch of online sports betting in Kentucky occurred on September 28th without any reported mishaps. However, two of the seven mobile sportsbooks are allowing 18-year-olds to place bets while the remaining five have stuck to the minimum 21 and older requirements. DK & bet365 Greenlight 18 Kentucky is now the sixth U.S. jurisdiction