Online Gambling South Carolina – Legal at SC gambling sites?
South Carolina is on a very short list of states in 2023 that do not have any brick-and-mortar casinos while simultaneously prohibiting any sports betting or even horse race betting.
If you don’t want to hop on a cruise ship to gamble, or if you don’t want to drive up to North Carolina to find the closest land-based casino, then you are in luck by finding this guide to South Carolina betting sites. We will show South Carolina residents where they can gamble online safely and for real money winnings.
You just have to use an offshore sportsbook, which does not have to abide by South Carolina gambling law. They only need to follow the laws in their own jurisdiction, which they do. Feel free to join an online betting site today, but first, you’ll want to read our guide on what to look for when choosing the best one for you.
South Carolina Betting Guides
If you’re unacquainted with betting in the Palmetto State, look no further. There is a wide variety of online options for bettors in the state. Check out our guides below for more information on horse racing, online casinos and sports betting in South Carolina.
Best South Carolina Online Gambling Sites 2023
At Bookmakers Review, we grade every online betting site based on the criteria we deem to be the most important in producing a quality gambling experience. There are many sites out there to choose from, but this is our top 10 list of the very best, and they all will accept users from South Carolina.
- Bookmaker – Great for sports betting in Gçgeneral
- Heritage Sports – Great for live sports betting
- Bovada – Great for props and poker
- BetOnline – Great for fast payouts and poker tournaments
- BetAnySports – Great for reduced juice and lottery games
- BetUS – Great for expert analysis
- Everygame – Great for site design
- GTbets – Great for betting on your favorite teams
- WagerWeb – Great for crypto users
- SportsBetting – Great for fans of BetOnline
The Best South Carolina Gambling Sites Reviews
Don’t just take our word from a list. For those new to online gambling, you’ll want to read along with our detailed reviews of the 10 sites we just ranked. Remember, since they are located offshore in places like Costa Rica and Antigua, it is fine for you to join them since online gambling is legal in those territories.
1. Bookmaker: Great for Sports Betting in General
Bookmaker is Costa Rica’s famous sportsbook known for being “where the line originates.” If you want to bet high limits on the earliest lines in the market before the public influences things in a different direction, then Bookmaker is your best choice as it has been getting that job done since 1996.
But in addition to offering great betting on sides and totals, Bookmaker also has game props and player props. It is one of the only sites where you can bet on an NFL player to not score a touchdown in prime-time games.
Bookmaker does not have a poker room, but it still has a casino section with some decent live dealer games, table games, video slots, and valuable RTP info on each so you can decide which are worth your time.
The three-tier loyalty program is also one of the best in the business, though it is only available to those with recreational accounts. Still, Bookmaker is accepting players of all types and skill levels to place bets on their site.
- Best sportsbook for betting sides and totals early in the week
- Quality racebook
- One of the top loyalty programs
- Easy to do live betting on mobile site
- Doesn’t do player props as well as Bovada and BetAnySports
- Should consider adding a poker room
2. Heritage Sports: Great for Live Sports Betting
Previously an invite-only site, Heritage Sports is wide open to anyone in South Carolina these days. This Costa Rica sportsbook has been around since 2001 and gets an A+ rating from Bookmakers Review for its excellent site design, live betting markets, and attention to detail with its racebook and e-sports sections. They also offer their share of casino games, complete with free demo versions to try out first.
But the real prize at Heritage Sports is the reduced juice cash-back program. By enrolling in that, you will be treated to -108 sports betting lines instead of the standard -110. You also get free weekly payouts, a 10% cash deposit bonus, monthly rebates on the casino and racebook, and up to 0.8% cash back rebate on all bets, win or lose. Active accounts will also be entered in any free contest.
The bonuses are not huge at Heritage Sports, but this cash-back program makes it worth staying loyal to the site. You also get some of the more unique perks that aren’t offered anywhere, such as a free parlay on your birthday or every eighth deposit on the house.
If sports betting is your main interest in South Carolina, then Heritage Sports is a must-join online sportsbook.
- Reduced juice cash-back program makes this a must for sports bettors
- Excellent mobile site makes live betting a piece of cake
- Good e-sports section
- Fun perks like free parlay on your birthday
- Doesn’t do poker tournaments (video poker only)
- Casino games not as expansive or fun as rivals
- Welcome bonus is small
3. Bovada: Great for Props and Poker
Speaking from experience, Bovada is an excellent introduction to offshore betting sites if you’ve never been on one before. By joining, you will be treated to a massive welcome bonus, especially if you are into using crypto as your deposit method.
Once inside, you can play poker tournaments on what is the highest-trafficked poker network for US players. You can bet on a wide variety of sports markets in the sportsbook, both for pre-game bets and live betting. The prop builder is one of the best in the business and the simplistic site design makes it easy to build parlays or bet on horses. Bovada also does virtual racing better than anyone else in the industry.
The online casino offers more than 130 slots and seven variants for blackjack, in addition to live dealer games.
If poker and sports betting are in your wheelhouse, then you should love what is featured at Bovada.
- Top-tier prop builder makes parlay building easy
- One of the most crypto-friendly sites
- Runs on the No. 1 online poker network for American players
- Great racebook
- Rewards program is good, but where are the other ongoing promotions for existing users?
- Not as many casino games as BetOnline and BetUS
4. BetOnline: Great for Fast Payouts and Poker
BetOnline is on that very short list of sites that will offer poker tournaments to go along with the usual mixture of a sportsbook, casino, racebook, and they even have e-sports and fun sports-related contests to enter to win big prizes. The promotions for existing users are also some of the most unique in the business, and their welcome bonuses are some of the largest offered right away to new users making their first deposit.
You also get fast payouts and high limits, so BetOnline is an excellent choice for South Carolina gamers who want to gamble in a variety of ways and often. The mobile site is one of the best on our list and it is easy to place live bets.
- Opinionated sports lines
- Hundreds of casino games (many are exclusives)
- Expect some of the fastest payments
- Poker tournaments that rival Bovada’s
- Suggest a prop bet
- Same game parlays not as robust as US-based rivals
- Needs to expand reduced juice beyond NHL games
5. BetAnySports: Great for Reduced Juice and Lottery Games
BetAnySports continues our run of A+-rated online casinos from Costa Rica. Bettors in South Carolina should not expect as much flash as other sites or any poker tournaments, but you will be treated to an excellent prop builder and sportsbook with the best reduced juice in the market (-105 lines instead of the -108 at Heritage Sports).
You also will get access to seven different casinos, each having its own library of games to choose from, including slots, table games and video poker.
The other way BetAnySports really stands out is its lottery section. If you want to play your favorite numbers on the lottery in other states daily, you can do that with BetAnySports. You can also get better payouts than you would if you purchased the ticket in person from a store. Included in their lottery drawings are the Pick 3 and Pick 4 for South Carolina drawings.The other way BetAnySports really stands out is its lottery section. If you want to play your favorite numbers on the lottery in other states daily, you can do that with BetAnySports. You can also get better payouts than you would if you purchased the ticket in person from a store. Included in their lottery drawings are the Pick 3 and Pick 4 for South Carolina drawings.
- Top spot for reduced juice (-105 odds)
- Prop builder that can rival the best
- Plenty of casino game variety
- Play numbers on multiple state lottery drawings
- Play South Carolina’s Pick 3 and Pick 4
- Limits are not as high as competitors
- You can tell it’s running on a smaller budget than BetOnline or Bovada
6. BetUS: Great for Expert Analysis
Since 1994, BetUS has built a reputation as a top-tier online sportsbook and casino. What stands out most isn’t so much their gambling sections, which are all quality experiences, but it’s the way they cater to their customers by helping them become better at gambling.
On BetUS, you will find helpful guides to get you started on how to play blackjack, how to bet on horse racing, how to use crypto and more. You also get access at no charge to BetUS TV, which offers plenty of original programming on its YouTube channel for expert picks and analysis. Chances are any sport you’re interested in will be covered in one of the many shows.
That’s where BetUS really differs from the competition, but we also really enjoy their prop picks for sports and their large collection of unique online casino games with free demo versions to try out.
- Unique TV service gives you expert analysis as added perk
- Good choice for fans of blackjack
- Helpful gambling guides
- Very crypto-friendly
- Love having demo versions for large library of casino games
- Bonuses sound good but rollover is high (30x)
- No P2P or eWallet transaction methods available
7. Everygame: Great for Site Design
The Antigua-based Everygame has roots back to 1996 when it was called Intertops before a rebranding took place to celebrate its 25th anniversary in the business. What we see now is a very sleek, efficient-looking website that offers plenty of sports markets to justify the name change.
You can download the poker software and play in tournaments not unlike what Bovada and BetOnline offer, which is a rarity in this list. You can also bet on plenty of sports, both with pre-game and live bets. The absence of a horse racing section is a downgrade, hence the No. 7 ranking. But if you are more of a casual online gambler, then Everygame may be of increased interest to you, as the mobile site is fully optimized.
- Wide variety of betting markets to justify name
- Our favorite site design
- Poker tournaments like BetOnline and Bovada
- Play free demo versions of every casino game
- Needs to add a racebook
- No phone number provided for customer service inquiries
8. GTbets: Great for Betting Your Favorite Teams
GTbets, formerly Game Time Bets, is one of the newer online sportsbooks that we really like. They offer some of the most interesting promotions in the business, such as getting a free half point on the sports lines of your favorite teams for the entire season. You are allowed to select one favorite team from each of the NFL, NBA, NCAAF and NCAAB.
They also have plenty of reload bonuses, free spins on the casino, and up to 10% rebates on your net horse racing losses and the current sign-up bonus is a good one. You get a 100% cash bonus (up to $500) on your first deposit, then a 50% cash bonus (up to $250) on your second deposit. You are allowed to use the bonus on any section of the site, including the online casino where they have a solid selection of slots, table games, and tournaments (blackjack and more).
- Free half-point on your favorite teams’ betting lines
- 10% weekly rebates on both casino and horse racing
- Free spin bonuses
- Quality web design
- Non-crypto deposit methods have low limits
- Needs more withdrawal methods
9. WagerWeb: Great for Crypto Users
With WagerWeb, you can expect reduced juice (-108 odds), great live betting markets, casino games with a great reward program and a decent racebook.
If this sounds a bit familiar, it is because WagerWeb compares most favorably to Heritage Sports, our second-listed online gambling site. It is a great choice to compare to, but our reason for liking Heritage Sports more is that the bonuses aren’t nearly as crypto-centric, the perks are better at Heritage Sports, the site is easier to use and WagerWeb’s customer service is not 24/7. Their operating hours begin at 10:00 AM.
- Models itself after Heritage Sports, one of our top sites
- One of the best to do live betting
- Get 5% casino cashback every week (no rollover)
- Great for fans of crypto
- Promotions are too crypto-centric
- Customer service is not 24/7 (opens at 10:00 a.m.)
10. SportsBetting: Great for Fans of BetOnline
SportsBetting and BetOnline are sister sites. Neither gets any credit whatsoever for coming up with a cool site name, but fortunately, there is a lot of substance and style to what these sports betting sites provide to gamblers.
Like with BetOnline, you can download poker software and play in online poker tournaments and cash games. You get access to a good sportsbook with a props builder that will look very familiar to BetOnline users. You also can partake in some of the same contests or enjoy familiar promotions like bad beat jackpots in poker or getting a refund on your moneyline picks when your team does something terrible like getting shut out or blowing a huge lead.
If you love BetOnline, there is no reason you won’t enjoy SportsBetting as well. They are more or less the same thing, but BetOnline has a more established user base.
- Fun sports promotions and contests (free or paid)
- Downloadable poker software or just play online
- Sister site to BetOnline, one of our elite choices
- Fast payouts expected
- Get slightly better site design with BetOnline
- Plenty of casino games but zero demo versions
South Carolina Online Gambling – The Top Sites Compared
If you would like to see a side-by-side comparison of our top 10 online betting sites, this chart will show you the pertinent information for each.
|Sportsbook||Rating||Online Since||Payment Methods||Read Review|
|Bookmaker||A+||1996||Credit Card, Bitcoin, P2P, Crypto||Bookmaker Review|
|Heritage Sports||A+||2001||Credit Card, Bitcoin, Cashiers Check, Bank Transfer, P2P||Heritage Sports Review|
|Bovada||A+||2011||Credit Card, Bitcoin||Bovada Review|
|BetOnline||A+||2001||Credit Card, Bitcoin, Crypto, Cashiers Check, Bank Transfer, P2P||BetOnline Review|
|BetAnySports||A+||2002||Credit Card, Bitcoin, Electronic Check||BetAnySports Review|
|BetUS||A||2000||Credit Card, Bitcoin, Bank Transfer, P2P||BetUS Review|
|Everygame||A||1996||Credit Card, Bitcoin, Skrill, Neteller, Bank Transfer, P2P||Everygame Review|
|GTbets||A||2011||Credit Card, Bitcoin, Crypto||GTbets Review|
|WagerWeb||A||1994||Credit Card, Bitcoin, Cashiers Check, Bank Transfer, P2P||WagerWeb Review|
|SportsBetting||A||2002||Credit Card, Bitcoin, Crypto, Cashiers Check, Bank Transfer, P2P||SportsBetting Review|
Is online gambling legal in South Carolina?
No, online gambling is certainly not legal in South Carolina in 2023. This goes for sports betting, horse racing, online casino games, and online poker. The closest thing to gambling that is allowed by the state is the presence of the Daily Fantasy Sports (DFS) sites like FanDuel and DraftKings. You can join them for the purposes of playing DFS, but you won’t be able to wager on spreads, totals, or any other normal sports bet.
Given the history of anti-gambling sentiment and the failure of establishing sports betting legislation in the state, it could be many years before we see legal online gambling operators in South Carolina.
History of Gambling in South Carolina
Located deep in the Bible Belt, South Carolina has not had a friendly relationship with gambling throughout history. However, that does not mean it has always been contentious. The following timeline shows some of the key, historical gambling moments in the Palmetto State:
- 1802 – South Carolina law bans all forms of gambling, including any card or dice games. Modern readings of this law would lead to calling a board game like Monopoly an illegal act of gambling if played in a South Carolina residence.
- 1976 – The Bingo Act of 1976 allows for charitable bingo games to be legal throughout the state.
- 1990s – Slot machines gain huge popularity in the state throughout the decade, leading to action from lawmakers.
- 1993 – The Catawba Tribe was allowed to open a bingo hall in the state on tribal land, a precursor to what would hopefully be a tribal casino in the future.
- 2000 – All slot machines are banned in the state.
- 2000 – By a 54% majority, a state lottery is approved.
- 2002 – On January 7, the first state lottery ticket is sold in South Carolina.
- 2005 – In December, the Catawba Tribe is given the green light for video poker machines on tribal grounds despite the state-wide ban on these machines.
- 2006 – In April, roughly 20 poker players are arrested in Mount Pleasant for an illegal poker game in a home based on the 1802 law. A judge would later rule that Texas Hold’Em is a game of skill and not gambling, but the case goes through several appeals to the South Carolina Supreme Court, which upheld the defendant’s misdemeanor convictions in 2012.
- 2007 – South Carolina Supreme Court rules the Catawba Tribe could not operate video poker machines on tribal land. Their appeal to the U.S. Supreme Court is refused. Staying persistent, the tribe finally got the okay in 2020 to build a tribal casino in North Carolina.
- 2012 – The South Carolina Supreme Court rules that social gambling is illegal.
- 2016 – A bill to legalize fantasy sports is introduced but does not receive a vote. There is still no legalized bill for daily fantasy sports (DFS) in South Carolina as of 2023 despite the availability of DFS with both FanDuel and DraftKings in the state.
- 2017 – A poll shows that 68% of state voters are in favor of allowing some casino gambling in South Carolina, a very conservative state.
- 2017 – State House Minority Leader Todd Rutherford, a Democrat, introduces House Bill 3102 in an attempt to bring casino gambling to South Carolina. In the Republican-leaning state, the bill fails to gain traction and never makes it past its introductory phase.
- 2018 – The Professional and Amateur Sports Protection Act (PASPA), which put an effective ban on sports betting in 1992 around the country, is overturned by the Supreme Court, leaving the choice for states to legalize sports betting.
- 2022 – In March, a bill is proposed to legalize online horse race betting, but the opposition is immediately strong, so it will not pass.
- 2022 – HB 5277 is a new bipartisan bill proposed by Democrat Todd Rutherford and Republican Bill Herbkersman that would legalize online sports betting in the state through up to 12 online sportsbooks. Neither the House nor Senate have approved the bill, which is unlikely to be signed by the Governor even if they did.
Is my financial info safe with an online gambling site in South Carolina?
Yes, you should feel safe using the offshore sportsbooks as long as you are using the ones we reviewed and ranked highly in our guide here. There are plenty of shady things on the internet these days, but sites like Bookmaker and BetOnline have been around for decades and are reputable companies from Costa Rica with plenty of customer satisfaction to point to. If we thought a site was too shady to use, we would never include it in our list.
Make Your Best Bets Online in South Carolina
We feel for our friends in South Carolina who are limited in their gambling options with no land-based casinos and no plan for access to retail sportsbooks such as BetMGM, Caesars, FanDuel, DraftKings, and more. But fear not, because, with the use of our reviewed offshore sites, you can get a fun, safe, and rewarding online gambling experience right on your favorite mobile device or desktop.
You just have to try these online betting sites out and figure out what your personal preference is.
If you like poker, then you’ll gravitate towards Bovada, BetOnline, and Everygame.
If you like wagering on sports the most, then you’ll want to get on Bookmaker, BetAnySports, and Heritage Sports. But be sure to read our different guides linked above for different forms of online gambling. We feel confident any top site we reviewed will be worth your time in South Carolina.
FAQs – South Carolina Online Gambling
Aside from the state lottery, bingo and raffles, every other form of gambling is prohibited in the Palmetto State. However, this does not mean that South Carolinians cannot gamble. Bettors in the state have a wide range of options when it comes to offshore gambling providers.
All you need to do to begin gambling in South Carolina is to decide what your preferred method of betting is and select a provider. Our review covers multiple trustworthy gambling operators that are sure to give you the gaming experience you are looking for.
Almost nothing as the state doesn’t even have a law for legal horse race betting. Basically, a legal form of online gambling in South Carolina is playing daily fantasy sports (DFS) on DraftKings or FanDuel. You can do that, but you cannot download and join the sportsbook for those two companies. This is why users in South Carolina need to join online betting sites like Bookmaker, Heritage Sports, Bovada, BetOnline, and BetAnySports if they want to gamble online at their own convenience.
If your preferred method of betting is mobile wagering, have no fear. Heritage Sports, BetAnySports and plenty more offshore gambling sites all have apps that you can download on your favorite mobile device.
You do not need a VPN to bet on sports or any other form of gambling in South Carolina. All 10 gambling operators listed in our review accept bettors who reside in the state.
Imagine your team is in the Super Bowl for only the third time in its existence. And you’d like to show your support for your hometown team by betting on them, but you can’t do so with U.S.-licensed sportsbooks. That’s because your state, although surrounded by jurisdictions that offer legal sports betting, isn’t on board.
All systems are nearly going for a new casino in an old mall 10 minutes away from Penn State, but there are still hurdles to climb before the project breaks ground and fosters the growth of sports betting in Pennsylvania. Industry Veteran Funds New Casino A former chairman of the Penn State Board of Trustees,
It’s the start of a new era in the state of Massachusetts after the retail sports betting market went live this morning. As of 10:00 AM EST, the Bay State became the 34th jurisdiction in the country to go live after the Supreme Court of the United States struck down the PASPA act back on
Mobile sports betting passed in the Tar Heel State Senate yet failed by only three votes in the House last year. However, the General Assembly meets back up for its 2023 session, which commenced on January 25th, and it appears as though online sports betting in North Carolina will not only resurface, but prospects are