Minnesota Sports Betting – Is It Legal?
David is a freelance sports journalist who comes from West Midlands. He specializes in sports content, both written and visual. With an impressive record in pre-fight predictions, David is quickly becoming recognized in his field for his in-depth fight analysis and impressive contender & fight history knowledge.
The top Minnesota sports betting sites provide their consumers with speedy payouts and the highest-priced odds, as well as excellent promotions and tempting bonuses. Our experts have tested hundreds of legal sports betting options for U.S. bettors in order to provide insightful knowledge on the top choices for The Gopher State.
Our team has decades of experience reviewing sports betting websites and is here to share that information with you.
The Top Sports Betting Sites for Minnesota in 2024
As most sports bettors know, looking for the most reputable betting operators in Minnesota can be time-consuming. However, our team of experts has already taken care of thoroughly vetting these sites for you.
Below you will stumble across the ten best online betting sites in Minnesota. You can guarantee that every sportsbook rated is reliable and trustworthy when it comes to payouts and customer experience.
- BetOnline – Opinionated lines and same-day payouts with decades of experience
- BookMaker – The sharpest lines and high wagering limits
- Heritage Sports – Exceptional customer service and excellent live betting service
- Bovada – A vast selection of betting options with flawless mobile operations
- Everygame – More sporting events than most competitors
- BetAnySports – Reduced juice and low house edges on moneyline wagers
- WagerWeb – Plenty of Bitcoin options and speedy payouts
- BetUS – Significant bonuses for new and loyal customers
- JustBet – Early lines and strong betting limits set them apart from the pack
- GTbets – High-level security and highly responsive 24/7 customer service
Minnesota has no bills, regulations or licensing for online gambling. However, the reputable sportsbooks we’re covering are known as offshore bookmakers. This means they aren’t regulated in Minnesota and the laws currently in position by the U.S. federal government have no control over their operations.
The sports betting sites we recommend are accessible to the citizens of Minnesota and the United States lawfully, as they only answer to the organizations that oversee sports betting where they are located. That is why offshore sportsbooks are entirely legal and our experts will only suggest the most respected and reputable operators that are renowned for supplying services to a high standard.
Is sports betting legal in Minnesota?
Simply put, no, sports betting isn’t legal in Minnesota. Lawmakers have shown an interest in the legalization of Minnesota sports betting for three consecutive years but, as of 2024, online wagering isn’t legal. Legislators attempted to push the sports betting debate in 2022, but a fightback from various administrators has forced Minnesotans to wait.
The current laws prevent in-state sports betting operations, but they can’t stop you from registering with an offshore bookmaker. Offshore online sportsbooks don’t violate federal law either.
That said, be sure to find a reputable and trustworthy operator by following the guidance provided by our experts, who have delivered the best online sports Minnesota sports betting sites on a platter.
To ensure your satisfaction and safety, our reviews and best sportsbooks guide will highlight the best user experiences and areas that provide fast payouts and present the operators with excellent customer service.
The Best Minnesota Sportsbook Reviews
Below you can find a top-10 list compiled by our experts, who’ve studied the sports gambling industry and know precisely what it takes to become a highly-ranked sportsbook in Minnesota.
1. BetOnline: Fast Payouts & Decades of Experience
Without hesitation, BetOnline is the king of offshore online sportsbooks in Minnesota. This operator delivers some of the fastest payouts in the business. When you factor in a wide selection of sports and some of the most lucratively-priced betting odds on the market, you can’t go wrong in taking your wagering needs to BetOnline.
Due to their 25 years of experience in the sports betting world, BetOnline has excelled when it comes to opinionated lines. With opinionated lines, seasoned bettors can thrive with BetOnline’s positive expected value (EV).
BetOnline has multiple positives for all sports betting enthusiasts and bettors, both new and veteran alike. Super-fast payouts, notable betting limits and the ability to live stream the events you wager on.
On top of that, you can enjoy a modern online casino with live dealer offerings as well as one of the busiest poker rooms in the United States.
Current BetOnline users rave about the impressive welcome bonuses. Deposit bonuses are matched at 100% up to $1,000 for first-time cryptocurrency depositors and those utilizing credit/debit cards can receive a 50% free play bonus of up to $1,000. There are also BetOnline promo codes that bettors can take advantage of.
- Fast payouts
- Professional interface & attractive, easy-to-use layout
- Opinionated lines & large betting limits
- Lacking in proposition bets compared to rivals
- $50 fee on check withdrawals
- Some complaints about the poker software
2. BookMaker: The Home of Sharp Bettors & High Betting Limits
Informed, high-stakes, experienced and successful sports bettors are known as sharp bettors. In the last 25 years, Bookmaker.eu has become the home of professional bettors because of its sharp lines and high betting limits. However, they aren’t just a one-trick pony; BookMaker also presents a simple-to-navigate interface, low minimum wagering limits and a tempting choice of welcome bonuses for new customers.
Users loyal to BookMaker will reap the rewards, as they’ve created a unique loyalty program that gifts customers with BetPoints. These BetPoints can be cashed in for prizes and bonuses and can also be used for more wagering, even free spins in the casino.
If the industry’s professional sports bettors found a trustworthy home for their wagers using BookMaker’s services, you shouldn’t need to question the integrity of this operator. And if you’re a winning bettor, fear not, as BookMaker never suspends or limits winners’ accounts.
- Decades of experience
- Football betting lines are released before their competitors
- Betting limits as high as $50,000 on NFL
- Sharp bettors lose their right to participate in the loyalty program
- A lackluster casino without any poker rooms
- No reduced lines
3. Heritage Sports: Market-Leading Odds & Excellent Live Betting Service
Many sportsbooks can delay the withdrawal process when customers want to receive their winnings, but you won’t find that issue at Heritage Sports, which pays its customers in full and on time. In addition, those using Bitcoin as their payment method can receive their funds without fees and on the same day.
With an abundance of promotional offers, cash-back rebates and a simple-to-use site accessible on desktop or mobile, it’s no surprise that Heritage Sports is one of the most popular Minnesota sports betting platforms. And when it comes to customer service, Heritage has become accustomed to putting a customer’s needs first.
Heritage Sports excels in live betting, as well as its online casino. They are also known for providing some of the best-priced odds in the industry and they are home to a wealth of proposition betting markets. Those looking for one of the market leaders in offshore sports betting needn’t look any further. Heritage Sports gives bettors countless reasons to become a customer.
- Easy to operate sports betting interface
- Reduced juice on betting lines
- Excellent promotional offers
- Great live betting options
- No online poker room
- Smaller sign-up bonuses than other sites
4. Bovada: More Sports Betting Markets Than Most
Bovada has long been a cut above the rest due to its wide variety of sports betting markets. In addition, its substantial online casino and racebook make it one of the most complete Minnesota online bookmakers.
With the most popular online poker room in the United States and more sports betting markets than most competitors, Bovada is the perfect sportsbook if you’re a fan of variety.
Known for its extensive selection of prop bets (including popular leagues such as the NFL and NBA to niche markets) and sportsbook options, Bovada has also established itself as a bookmaker that provides rare betting markets in entertainment and politics that notably provide lucrative odds.
While the betting limits might not be as high as with other competitors, the Bovada promo codes are some of the best in the industry, including a specific casino bonus.
- Bigger selection of betting markets than most competitors
- The most popular poker room in the United States
- Mobile-friendly with excellent optimization
- Small rollover requirements for bonuses
- Betting limits can be lower than competitors
- Betting lines arrive slightly slower than other sites
5. Everygame: The Most Experience in Online Betting
If you didn’t get the memo, Intertops rebranded their platform to Everygame If you didn’t get the memo, Intertops rebranded their platform to Everygame in 2021 and have made awe-inspiring advancements ever since. Outside of the apparent company name modification, their experience in the business has shined with their recent upgrade, as the world’s oldest online sportsbook is keeping up with the times to challenge the competitive market.
Everygame covers almost every sports league/promotion in existence. Finding a market competitor to challenge is practically impossible, as they pride themselves on delivering a vast selection of sporting events to wager on and huge promos to boost your bankroll just for signing up and entering an Everygame promo code that is valid for new users.
While they excel for Minnesota sports bettors, customers will also notice the excellent online casino. With professional and amateur poker rooms supplying services to all skill levels, users can hit the tables while waiting for their Minnesota Vikings game to begin.
- Betting lines for worldwide sporting events
- Simple-to-use mobile interface
- More sports leagues than most competitors
- Small bonuses
- Customer verification can be prolonged
6. BetAnySports: The Best Reduced Juice Lines for Great Discounts
The potential for finding valuable odds is almost unmatchable when using BetAnySports. A reduced juice approach does force the operator to operate with low margins, but they deliver some of the best odds in the business.
With a lower house edge than most online betting sites in Minnesota, customers searching for the best price don’t have to look any further. In addition to great-priced moneyline wagers, their selection of prop bets is vast and this incredible betting value becomes even more lucrative when placed in a parlay.
Long-term online sports bettors in Minnesota will thrive with an account at BetAnySports. This Minnesota online sportsbook has designed a flawless reduced juice betting line system. Most bookmakers typically give bettors a -110 price on NFL or NBA spread or total wagers, but BetAnySports will regularly provide a significant -105 price tag on the same markets.
BetAnySports is the perfect Minnesota sports betting site for secure and trustworthy withdrawals and, more importantly, outstanding odds. They do offer other bonuses, but they are not as enticing as those on other sites; that’s just the price you pay when you get 50% reduced juice.
- Reduced juice for sides and total wagers (-105)
- Some of the best-priced moneyline, prop, and future betting odds
- Fast payouts and a trustworthy reputation
- Smaller bonuses than competitors
- Interface could be improved
7. WagerWeb: High-Quality Sports Betting & Decades of Experience
With reduced lines and unique bonus offers, WagerWeb shines as a sportsbook, casino and racebook. With excellent racebook and casino rebates, Bitcoin depositors additionally receive speedy payouts with this top Minnesota online sportsbook.
As the sister site of Heritage Sports, WagerWeb was always going to have an advantage in the online sports betting world. Bettors from Minnesota registering an account with WagerWeb will be in the hands of a company that boasts 28 years of experience in the business. This bookmaker is the perfect choice for bettors wanting a top-quality experience with a well-established enterprise offering online sports betting in Minnesota.
- Reduced betting lines
- Great bonus options
- Fast approving payouts
- Low betting limits
- Limited fee-less fiat-based withdrawals
8. BetUS: Offers Great Bonuses & Promotions
BetUS didn’t rebrand, but since its staff overhaul, the company has become one of the best Minnesota online sports betting options. Customer payouts are prompt and their promotional offers are impossible to neglect, making them one of Minnesota’s most trusted sportsbooks for online sports betting.
If you’re in the business of lucrative bonus offerings, BetUS has built a reputation as one of the best bonus providers on the market. The initial welcome bonus is 125%, gifting new customers with the opportunity to receive up to $2,500 in sports betting credit and $625 in casino credits.
BetUS doesn’t just cater to new customers, reload bonuses and year-long promotions are often available to loyal customers. With a willingness to make their consumer base happy, the overall user experience is also a pleasure when navigating the platform and they provide great odds.
- Exceptional bonuses and promotions for new and old customers
- A vast esports betting hub with live betting options
- A wide variety of betting options
- Slower released betting lines than competitors
- High rollover requirements on bonuses
9. JustBet: Live Betting Experts
Under the tutelage of BookMaker, JustBet hasn’t struggled to become one of the best Minnesota sports betting operators. In unison with its sister site (BookMaker), its interface is simple to use and JustBet provides early betting lines and notably high betting limits.
Again, following in the footsteps of Bookmaker.eu, JustBet delivers a loyalty service for its long-term customers. And despite living in the shadow of its sister site, JustBet has reached a top-10 ranking on our list of the best sports betting sites in Minnesota for its impressive live betting options, early released odds and tempting welcome bonus.
- Notable live betting options
- Betting lines are released early
- A great welcome bonus of up to $500
- No reduced juice lines
- No poker room
10. GTbets: The Best Security & Customer Service
Presenting great odds, notable promotions, an incredible sign-up bonus and reduced juice football lines, GTbets is evolving into a top Minnesota sports betting site. Formerly Game Time, since its rebranding to GTbets, the sports betting provider has flourished with its easy-to-use site, competitive odds and attention to detail in security procedures.
GTbets is safe and secure, with exceptional customer service and GTbets is safe and secure, with exceptional customer service and a reputation for strong user security. And for football fans in Minnesota, you will instantly notice the reduced juice on NFL sides and totals, perfect for amping up the excitement this football season. Further tempting football enthusiasts, promotional offers can provide NFL spread bets with a reduced spread of half a point.
- Reduced juice on football sides and totals
- 24/7 customer service
- Great security record
- Occurring charges on withdrawal fees
- Large rollovers on bonus points
Latest Minnesota Sports Betting News and Developments – A Timeline of Sports Betting in Minnesota
Minnesota has been abuzz with discussions and developments surrounding sports betting. The state has seen a series of events that could potentially pave the way for the legalization and regulation of sports wagering. In this timeline, we will explore the key events that have unfolded, shedding light on the state’s path toward embracing this popular form of entertainment.
- January 2023: Minnesota State Senator Jeremy Miller announces he plans on introducing the Minnesota Sports Betting Act, which would regulate sports betting in the state.
- January 2023: The opening of Minnesota’s 2023 legislative session took place. Representative Zack Stephenson, who played an important part in 2022’s attempt to legalize sports betting, confirmed Minnesotans should expect a mirror of sports betting bill HF 778, which, as locals may remember, passed the House of Representatives but failed in the Senate.
- October 2022: As sports betting in Minnesota remains illegal, locals have traveled to Iowa, where wagering on sports has flourished with the return of the NFL. $200 million wagers were disclosed in September’s report, a vast 61% upswing from August.
- October 2022: With Minnesota locals traveling to neighboring states to place legal wagers, the MAPG (Minnesota Alliance on Problem Gambling) cautioned locals to keep problem gambling in mind. This is also a reminder that the legalization of sports betting is on legislators’ minds.
- September 2022: A poll held by the Star Tribune, MPR News and Kare 11 revealed that close to 50% of Minnesota locals want sports betting legalized in the state.
- September 2022: Although legislators highlighted a one-off session on sports betting that could take place in the summer, nothing of the sort came to fruition.
- August 2022: Media outlet MinnPost discussed what’s needed for Minnesota to legalize sports betting. A resounding answer pointed towards the tribes and horse racing tracks, both of which need to compromise on the situation for anything positive to surface.
- April 2021: A bill proposing the legalization of sports betting in Minnesota is introduced in the state legislature.
- May 2019: A bill to legalize sports betting is introduced in the Minnesota House of Representatives, but it fails to gain traction and does not advance.
- January 2018: The U.S. Supreme Court hears oral arguments in the case of Murphy v. NCAA, which challenges the constitutionality of the federal ban on sports betting.
- May 2012: A bill to authorize a state-run lottery to offer sports betting is introduced in the Minnesota Senate, but it fails to pass.
- 2009: A bill to legalize sports betting in Minnesota is introduced in the state legislature, but it fails to gain traction and does not advance.
- 1992: The Professional and Amateur Sports Protection Act (PASPA) is signed into law, prohibiting states from authorizing or regulating sports betting.
As Minnesota navigates the complexities of legalizing sports betting, its residents eagerly anticipate what the future holds. The allure of legal sports wagering, exemplified by Minnesotans traveling to neighboring states, remains a driving force behind these developments. While challenges persist, including the need for compromises between tribes and horse racing tracks, the potential for Minnesota to join the ranks of states with legalized sports betting remains a tantalizing prospect.
Minnesota Sports Betting Teams
Minnesota has numerous professional and semi-professional teams in various sports and leagues. Most teams are based in Minneapolis, but every major league team is named under the state.
The most notable athletic teams in Minnesota are:
- Minnesota Twins – MLB (Baseball)
- Minnesota Vikings – NFL (Football)
- Minnesota United FC – MLS (Soccer)
- Minnesota Wild – NHL (Hockey)
- Minnesota Timberwolves – NBA (Basketball)
- Minnesota Lynx – WNBA (Basketball)
- Minnesota Golden Gophers – Big Ten (College Football)
- Minnesota Golden Gophers – Division I (College Basketball)
Minnesota’s wide selection of professional sports teams and college sports teams provides bettors in the state with numerous betting opportunities.
How to Bet on Sports in Minnesota
While the North Star State hasn’t officially legalized sports betting, this doesn’t prevent Minnesota bettors from wagering on their favorite teams. Minnesotans can register with an offshore sportsbook to wager on sports in Minnesota. Offshore bookmakers aren’t required to comply with Minnesota laws, thus making it entirely legal for Minnesotans to place online sports bets with one of our reputable sportsbooks.
Bookmakers Review aims to make sports betting in Minnesota simple and our experts have meticulously examined every offshore betting site to create a top-rated guide.
We compile information and give each offshore sportsbook a rating; you will find the most reputable and trustworthy operators with an A+ rating. You can guarantee these providers have delivered Minnesota sports bettors with exceptional service, making them the best choice for sports fans in Minnesota who are looking for the best online sports wagering experience.
Signing up for an offshore sportsbook only takes a couple of minutes. You can then make a deposit, claim your welcome bonus and place your first wager.
Compare the Best Minnesota Betting Sites & Sportsbooks
You can quickly compare some key information about each sportsbook below:
|Credit Card, Bitcoin, Crypto, Cashiers Check, Bank Transfer, P2P
|Credit Card, Bitcoin, P2P, Crypto
|Credit Card, Bitcoin, Cashiers Check, Bank Transfer, P2P
|Heritage Sports Review
|Credit Card, Bitcoin
|Credit Card, Bitcoin, Skrill, Neteller, Bank Transfer, P2P
|Credit Card, Bitcoin, Electronic Check
|Credit Card, Bitcoin, Cashiers Check, Bank Transfer, P2P
|Credit Card, Bitcoin, P2P, Crypto
|Credit Card, Bitcoin, Bank Transfer, P2P
We have given BetOnline, Bookmaker.eu, Heritage Sports and Bovada each an A+ rating.
What is the difference between regulated and offshore sportsbooks in Minnesota?
Regulated sportsbooks will be forbidden in the state of Minnesota until laws and regulations have given sports betting the green light in court.
The federal government cannot regulate offshore sportsbooks. This gives United States citizens a completely legal and safe avenue for sports gambling if located in a state that doesn’t offer regulated sportsbooks.
What is the legal gambling age in Minnesota?
Although the state doesn’t currently offer betting on sports online, there is a state lottery and there are several tribal casinos that offer card rooms, slots and more. The legal gambling age to participate in those activities is 18 years old.
Some tribal casinos may want players to be 21 years old to enter if it is a place where alcohol is sold.
However, Minnesota residents can visit offshore online sportsbooks. These online operators offer betting on popular sports, college athletics, politics, esports and more. You can use these sites as long as you are old enough to gamble in your state.
Minnesota Betting Guides
Explore the best betting options in the Land of 10,000 Lakes with our in-depth Minnesota betting guides.
FAQs – Online Sports Betting in Minnesota
Minnesotans can gamble online with an offshore gambling site that is operated by an offshore company as long as they are of the legal betting age. With these online sports betting sites, you will have access to the most popular casino games, sports betting and niche betting markets.
You can use any offshore sportsbook in Minnesota. We recommend using one of our top picks for the best sportsbooks in Minnesota.
Minnesota bettors can use any mobile betting apps that are owned and operated by an offshore sportsbook operator on their mobile devices. There are currently no state-regulated legal options for mobile betting sites or mobile sports betting apps in Minnesota at this time.
You can bet on NFL games with an offshore sportsbook or offshore betting app as a resident of Minnesota. These offshore sites also allow you to bet on all of the most popular leagues, college sports and horse racing and enjoy casino-style games among other forms of gambling.
Once our experts begin their reviewing process, security and customer service are two crucial aspects that dictate how we rate our favorite offshore sportsbooks. BetOnline, BookMaker, Heritage Sports and Bovada are perfect representations of elite-level offshore online sportsbooks in Minnesota that provide flawless security measures for their customers.
Minnesota legislature attempted to bring legal sports betting to the state, but the disagreements between Native American tribes and racing tracks caused the bills to fail. Native Americans and racetracks in the state will need to reach an agreement before any expansion of gambling in the state can happen.
Governor JB Pritzker aims to double the Illinois sports betting tax rate to 35%, seeking a fiscal windfall for the state. While potential revenue could reach $200 million, concerns arise about its impact on operators, raising questions about the industry’s future.
The Study Commission on the Future of Gaming in Ohio is delving into the prospect of legalizing online casinos. Exploring potential revenue, regulatory frameworks, and industry impact, Ohio aims to join the ranks of states benefiting from iGaming, with discussions set to continue in upcoming meetings.
Minnesota’s House File 2000, championed by Rep. Zack Stephenson, could bring legalized and regulated sports betting to the state. With support from professional sports teams and plans for responsible revenue allocation, the bill aims to transform an unauthorized activity into a supervised and beneficial industry.
California tribes claim illegal card games cost $100 million yearly, seeking resolution. Led by the Viejas Tribe, a coalition pushes for SB 549, aiming to grant tribes legislative recognition and address exclusivity rights. The battle involves complex legal intricacies.