Best Maryland Sports Betting Apps & Mobile Sites
Starting in 2021, Maryland sports fans were given the legal clear to enjoy retail sports betting and to engage in other commercial gaming wagers in the state. You can visit one of the state’s six land-based casinos to place wagers at a state-licensed and legal sportsbook, but what about the ability to wager from your phone with a mobile sports betting app?
Sadly, the process of rolling out a mobile platform for sports betting is taking some time. It was in December of 2021 after the official launch of the state’s new sports betting legislation when the first legal bet in the state was placed in person by Governor Larry Hogan. Over 10 months later, betting enthusiasts are still waiting to see a live online sports betting app from the likes of DraftKings, FanDuel, or BetMGM which will allow them to bet online on the most popular sports (such as collegiate or professional sports leagues) or to engage in other forms of gambling.
But while these online retail sportsbooks could be live in the next month or two, you have plenty of options available to you right now in the form of offshore sportsbooks for online sports betting. We have compiled this guide to show you the best sites to join for betting on sports and other event betting.
Maryland Betting Guides
We have other comprehensive online betting guides for Maryland bettors that are looking for more ways to gamble online, which we suggest checking out.
List of the Best Maryland Sports Betting Apps & Mobile Sites
You may not have expected that Costa Rica is an online sports betting mecca that has served as the home to many great sites for years, but that is the case. Since online betting has been legal in that country for years, it is perfectly fine for them to accept players from Maryland and other U.S. territories. As long as you are 18 years old, you can join these online betting sites today and start betting on sports to win real money, which plenty of fans choose to do instead of traveling to physical sportsbook locations.
For your convenience, we have created a top 10 list of our favorite offshore sportsbooks:
- BetOnline – Provides opinionated lines for top markets
- Bovada – Preferred choice for prop picks and poker players
- Bookmaker – Does not limit winning players
- Heritage Sports – Unique perks and great for live betting
- BetUS – Informative guides and expert analysis to bolster your betting
- BetAnySports – The best reduced juice in industry
- WagerWeb – Free crypto payouts
- JustBet – Good rewards program
- Everygame – The best site design
- SportsBetting – Get a 50% welcome bonus today
Reviews of the Best Maryland Betting Apps & Mobile Sites
The following section is a detailed review of the top five offshore sportsbooks from our top 10 list above. Review the pros and cons of each and see where your personal preference guides you as you look for your top online betting site.
1. BetOnline: Opinionated Lines for Top Markets
Our top sports betting app is Costa Rica’s BetOnline, which receives an A+ rating from our grading system. You will get opinionated lines on top markets such as football, basketball, and baseball. You can use these in parlays, guaranteeing you betting options that you won’t get from any other online sportsbook.
There are many different leagues and sports offered to bet on as well as some non-sports markets (entertainment and politics). The site design is solid with menus for props builder, odds booster, and the live betting section is easy to use on a mobile device.
New users will enjoy the promotions offered at BetOnline, including a 50% Sports Welcome Bonus on your first deposit (up to $1,000). You can also get a 25% sports reload bonus or 35% on crypto deposits. Your first player props wager and live bet wager are both on the house ($25 value), and you can also recommend a prop bet to be run on the site.
- Quality prop builder with opinionated lines
- Bet on everything from table tennis to handball
- Quick payouts
- Free pro league pick ‘em contests with real cash prizes
- Fun sports-related promotions
- Bonuses only valid for sportsbook
2. Bovada: Come for the Prop Builder
Bovada is another well-graded, well-known sportsbook operating out of Costa Rica. You can bet on a wide variety of markets that are organized in a neat A-Z menu on the home page.
The props builder is one of the best in the industry with plenty of Over/Under choices for the top leagues as well as prepared specials and player-performance doubles for each game.
While Bovada lacks a native app for download, you can add the page to your home screen for instant access on your mobile device. The site is also good for live betting on various sports and major event betting.
- Site design is simplistic but easy to use for betting
- Superb props builder
- Caters to crypto users
- A must-have for poker players
- Not that many promotions for existing users
- Smaller bonuses if you don’t use crypto
- They don’t post the earliest betting lines in the industry like Bookmaker
3. Bookmaker: Open to All Players
If you are serious about sports betting, then Bookmaker is hard to pass up. This Costa Rica-based sportsbook has been online for over 25 years and has earned a reputation for getting the earliest betting lines out. Sharps can hammer those lines before the public starts skewing things in another direction.
With high betting limits and the ability to request up to five payouts per week, you can get a lot done as a sports bettor with Bookmaker as your primary online sportsbook. They also provide a good racebook and some casino games to play for a change of pace, including video poker.
If you join Bookmaker’s loyalty program, then you can eventually get 20% cash on your reload bonuses (up to $2,500). The initial welcome bonus is worth as much as $500 in bonus money with a 10x rollover.
- Sharps eat up the early betting lines on sports
- High limits
- Request up to five payouts per week
- Good live betting on mobile site
- Loyalty program offers generous reload bonuses
- They do sides/totals better than they do prop bets
- No poker tournaments available
4. Heritage Sports: Reduced Juice and Live Betting
Is Costa Rica big enough for four great online sportsbooks? You bet they are. Heritage Sports is another choice that has been around since 2001. Formerly an invite-only service, anyone can join today, including Maryland users.
The reduced juice cash-back program is something the site loves to promote and for good reason. Many sites will offer one or the other, but you will get reduced juice (-108 lines instead of the standard -110) and cash back every quarter on your sports bets at Heritage Sports.
You also get some of the best live betting choices in the industry with one of the nicest-looking sites. They also do a good job with their racebook, offer demo versions of every casino game, and give e-sports their own hub as well if that’s your thing.
You won’t get the biggest promotions with Heritage Sports, but their cash-back program is top-notch, and you can get unique perks like a free parlay on your birthday (up to a $500 value) or getting every eighth deposit free on the house.
- Reduced juice cash-back program is great for sports and casino
- One of the best to do live betting right now due to highly functional mobile site
- Free parlay on your birthday adds a nice personal touch
- One of the smallest welcome bonuses
- Lack the poker tournaments found at Bovada and BetOnline
5. BetUS: Helps You Become a Better Bettor
Since 1994, BetUS has been taking sports bets, giving it the confidence to claim itself as “America’s Favorite Sportsbook.” It is definitely top-five material for our grading system.
BetUS checks a lot of the boxes by offering a deep selection of sports betting markets, including prop picks and live betting. They also do one of the better racebooks on our list, and their casino is one of the best we have seen.
With BetUS TV, the company really offers something none of the rivals do at this point. They have experts who provide analysis and picks on shows (via YouTube) for many different types of sports. This provides a more complete betting experience if you want to make BetUS your one-stop shop for sports betting each week. Other sites should follow their lead with this TV service.
The sign-up bonuses at BetUS are unique. You can get a 200% match of your first deposit if you use crypto. It is split into two parts: 150% on sports (up to $3,750) and 50% on casino (up to $1,250). That is a total of $5,000 in bonus money if you deposit the maximum amount ($2,500) using crypto. The sports bonus has a 15x rollover and the casino has a 30x rollover. They must be used within 14 days of receiving the promotion.
- Welcome bonuses are large and get you started on the sportsbook and casino
- BetUS TV provides expert analysis you won’t get from rivals
- Useful guides
- Good online casino offerings with demos of everything
- Desktop version performs better than mobile site
- Be aware that welcome bonuses expire after 14 days
Comparing the Best Maryland Betting Apps & Mobile Sites
The following table is a summary to compare our 10 highest-graded online sportsbooks for their years in service, rating, payment methods, and a link to a review for each one.
|Sportsbook||Rating||Online Since||Payment Methods||Read Review|
|BetOnline||A+||2001||Credit Card, Bitcoin, Crypto, Cashiers Check, Bank Transfer, P2P||BetOnline Review|
|Bovada||A+||2011||Credit Card, Bitcoin||Bovada Review|
|Bookmaker||A+||1996||Credit Card, Bitcoin, P2P, Crypto||Bookmaker Review|
|Heritage Sports||A+||2001||Credit Card, Bitcoin, Cashiers Check, Bank Transfer, P2P||Heritage Sports Review|
|BetUS||A||2000||Credit Card, Bitcoin, Bank Transfer, P2P||BetUS Review|
|BetAnySports||A+||2002||Credit Card, Bitcoin, Electronic Check||BetAnySports Review|
|WagerWeb||A||1994||Credit Card, Bitcoin, Cashiers Check, Bank Transfer, P2P||WagerWeb Review|
|JustBet||A||2000||Credit Card, Bitcoin, P2P, Crypto||JustBet Review|
|Everygame||A||1996||Credit Card, Bitcoin, Skrill, Neteller, Bank Transfer, P2P||Everygame Review|
|SportsBetting||A||2002||Credit Card, Bitcoin, Crypto, Cashiers Check, Bank Transfer, P2P||SportsBetting Review|
How We Rank the Best Maryland Betting Apps & Mobile Sites
At Bookmakers Review, we research each offshore sportsbook and grade it against a series of important metrics we think a quality site will possess. We want to share some of those metrics so that you know what to look for when choosing the right online betting site in Maryland.
Mobile Betting Experience
With so many bets placed on a phone now, it is very important for a great site design that makes it easy to enjoy mobile betting, live or pre-game. We also want to be able to add money to our account on the fly, build parlays with ease, and enjoy a site that won’t crash during high-traffic times like right before the start of the next playoff game.
Live Mobile Betting & Streaming
Live betting continues to get more popular and is one of the best ways to use your handheld device to place bets while actively watching a game. Most of our top 10 sites offer deep live betting markets, so no matter which hour of the day it is, you can likely find some action going on somewhere in the world.
Our top sites do a great job of giving you different banking methods ranging from old-school methods (checks, credit cards, money orders, wire transfers) to more modern options (P2P, eWallets, cryptocurrencies). There are also fees and different waiting times associated with your preferred payment method. These are available on each site, and you should familiarize yourself with the differences when selecting what method is best for you. Sites that provide a detailed crypto guide for those wishing to learn how to use it get a higher grade as well.
The best customer service sites will offer 24/7 support in a variety of contact methods from email to phone calls to video chat. But 24/7 support with quick response time is the ideal goal.
Licensing & Security
You should feel confident that the site you are using is safe, it will keep your personal information secure, and it is a legitimate company that is licensed to operate in its country of origin. The sites we have chosen for our top 10 all passed this test with flying colors.
Types of Maryland Mobile Betting Bonus Codes & Promo Codes
There are always bonuses and promotions associated with these sites to keep you going back for more. It is important to understand how they work and what’s really a deal to you. The following are different examples of the types of promotions and perks you will see on these offshore sportsbooks.
Welcome Bonuses & Deposit Bonuses
The most popular promotion that you will often see advertised for an online sportsbook is the welcome bonus. This is usually in the form of matching your first deposit, sometimes up to $1,000 or more depending on the site. Sometimes your second and third deposits also get matched if the promotion calls for it. Crypto users usually can get a little more on their first-deposit bonuses if they use that method to make their transactions.
But with any welcome bonus, you should read the fine print about what the rollover requirement is. That number is going to tell you how many times you will have to wager that bonus money until it is cleared to be withdrawn from your account as real money. That number can get very high for casino bonuses, but the sports rollover requirements are usually among the lowest.
Returning Customer Promotions
It is always nice to see your loyalty rewarded. Some sportsbooks will offer you more lucrative promotions based on your betting level with the site. The more you bet, the more likely those rewards are going to be a larger number.
But there is a variety of returning customer promotions you can expect to see:
- Enhanced/Boosted Odds: These are common for sports bets. You may see a line that is usually -110 get boosted to +150 for that day as part of a promotion. You just have to opt-in and claim the promotion to get the odds. There is usually a strict limit associated with these boosts, and they are one-time bets that cannot be combined into parlays. Some feel you should always fade the books when they offer these boosts, but there are plenty of times where they do in fact hit and anyone who played them got a nice boost in profit.
- Reload Bonuses: These are basically just deposit matches for people who have a history of depositing money on a site. Put in $100 and expect them to match 50% or so. If you were going to make a deposit anyway that day, it is basically getting free money. These are offered often.
- Risk-free Bets: These promotional wagers are always fun to see available. If you make a bet of a certain amount and it loses, you can get your stake back as a free bet. Just be aware those free bets earned through these promotional wagers usually expire within a week.
- Free Bets: These can come as the reward to a risk-free bet or as part of a promotion for the first time you place a certain bet, such as your first live bet, first parlay, or first horse race bet.
Mobile Site vs. App for Betting in Maryland
As Maryland residents will soon see when they can download apps for sportsbooks from major US companies, it is often easier to log in to a native app for mobile sports betting. However, the online betting sites in our list currently lack a native app that can be downloaded at the Apple Store or Play Store for iPhone and Android users.
But you can always check out the mobile site on your favorite device, which can then be bookmarked or saved to your home screen for quick, future access. We looked at some of the pros and cons of the methods of engaging in mobile sports betting on a mobile site compared to a mobile app.
Every offshore sportsbook in our list has a solid mobile site that you can access to place bets. Just visit the site and log in.
- Not taking up storage space on your phone with a growing cache the more you use it
- Not using your monthly data allotment on your phone
- No need to worry about downloading app updates or removing old versions of app to install new ones
- Higher security risks
- May have to type in password more often
Using a native app is going to be like using the website, but you will notice some differences.
- One-click access to enter the app
- Use your phone’s high-tech login method (fingerprint or code) for quick access to your account
- Use the stored password on your phone so you don’t have to remember it or write it down somewhere
- You can quickly share photos of your bets with friends or social media following
- These usually have better aesthetics than the regular mobile site
- Easier to multi-task (research stats) while betting on a PC or larger screen than on your phone
- Must always be on the lookout for app updates, which take up storage
- Geolocation on a phone can be very hit or miss
- App can lag more than the site based on strength of your Wi-Fi connection
Best Maryland Betting App & Mobile Site
If you are wondering what our personal choice is for the best online sportsbook, the truth is we use all the ones in our top five for different reasons. But if we were to only choose one, it would be BetOnline.
The payments are the fastest, the site design works no matter if you are building a parlay or playing casino games, the variety in sports markets is great, live betting is easy to do, the promos are varied and unique, and the contests are fun to play. You can trust that with its reputation, you will enjoy a secure betting experience with BetOnline.
FAQs – Maryland Sports Betting Apps
Our top choices for online sports betting sites are BetOnline, Bovada, Bookmaker, Heritage Sports, and BetUS.
You can expect a wide variety of sports, ranging from the most popular games (football/baseball/basketball) to more niche markets (cricket/handball/darts/snooker) and from leagues worldwide in addition to popular casino games.
As of December 2021 when the official launch took place, Maryland sports fans can visit a retail betting location to make their wagers. There are dozens of retail locations across the state offering legal sports betting already while the Sports Wagering Application Review Commission (SWARC), which is the regulatory body that oversees the state’s sports betting laws, approves applications for online gambling.
The legalization of sports betting online fully rolls out in Maryland, you can use licensed sportsbooks like DraftKings Sportsbook to play Daily Fantasy Sports (DFS). It’s only a matter of time before you will be able to place sports wagers with this sportsbook app. If Daily Fantasy Sports are not your favorite gambling activity, there are plenty of wagers you can place on the most popular leagues (including professional and college sports) with an offshore online betting app.
Online gambling applications haven’t been fully approved as of yet by the gaming control agency, but once they are and FanDuel Sportsbook gets their online licenses approved in the state, you will be able to legally gamble with FanDuel in Maryland. Until then you can play Daily Fantasy Sports with this sportsbook app, or use offshore mobile betting apps to place sports wagers. Fantasy Sports, while popular, do not really offer the same betting experience.
Right now you can bet with Caesars Sportsbook, but the only way to bet with Caesars is to visit Horseshoe Casino Baltimore. Caesars Sportsbook is the official retail sports betting partner of this particular casino.
You must place bets with the retail sportsbook, as you can’t even use sports betting apps or mobile sportsbooks on casino property as is allowed in some other states.
Imagine your team is in the Super Bowl for only the third time in its existence. And you’d like to show your support for your hometown team by betting on them, but you can’t do so with U.S.-licensed sportsbooks. That’s because your state, although surrounded by jurisdictions that offer legal sports betting, isn’t on board.
All systems are nearly going for a new casino in an old mall 10 minutes away from Penn State, but there are still hurdles to climb before the project breaks ground and fosters the growth of sports betting in Pennsylvania. Industry Veteran Funds New Casino A former chairman of the Penn State Board of Trustees,
It’s the start of a new era in the state of Massachusetts after the retail sports betting market went live this morning. As of 10:00 AM EST, the Bay State became the 34th jurisdiction in the country to go live after the Supreme Court of the United States struck down the PASPA act back on
Mobile sports betting passed in the Tar Heel State Senate yet failed by only three votes in the House last year. However, the General Assembly meets back up for its 2023 session, which commenced on January 25th, and it appears as though online sports betting in North Carolina will not only resurface, but prospects are