Maryland Sports Betting Apps & Mobile Sites
Starting in 2021, Maryland sports fans were given the legal clear to enjoy retail sports betting and to engage in other commercial gaming wagers in the state. You can visit one of the state’s six land-based casinos to place wagers at a state-licensed and legal sportsbook, but what about the ability to wager from your phone with a mobile sports betting app?
Online and mobile gambling were made legal in December 2022, meaning it is now possible to use state-regulated online operators. However, offshore sites still offer the best betting experience. Due to this, we have compiled this guide to show you the best Maryland betting sites to join for wagering on sports and plenty of other events.
List of the Best Maryland Sports Betting Apps & Mobile Sites
You may not have expected Costa Rica to be an online sports betting mecca that has served as the home to many great sites for years, but that is the case. As long as you are 18 years old, you can join these online betting sites today and start betting on sports to win real money, which plenty of fans choose to do instead of traveling to physical sportsbook locations.
For your convenience, we have created a top 10 list of our favorite offshore sportsbooks:
- BetOnline – Provides opinionated lines for top markets
- Bovada – Preferred choice for prop picks and poker players
- Bookmaker – Does not limit winning players
- Heritage Sports – Unique perks and great for live betting
- BetUS – Informative guides and expert analysis to bolster your betting
- BetAnySports – The best reduced juice in the industry
- WagerWeb – Free crypto payouts
- JustBet – Good rewards program
- Everygame – The best site design
- SportsBetting – Get a 50% welcome bonus today
These sites allow bettors in Maryland to wager on professional sports teams, college teams and niche sports. They also offer some of the most competitive betting odds and generous bonuses in the online sports betting industry.
Is mobile sports betting legal in Maryland?
Ever since December 2022, residents have been allowed to use licensed sportsbook apps in Maryland to place bets on the most popular sports. While the online market in Maryland is relatively new, you can use offshore mobile sites or offshore mobile apps to place sports bets, in addition to other forms of gambling, for a better betting experience. These offshore sites offer a wider variety of betting markets and bet types in addition to giving better bonuses than state-regulated providers can.
Reviews of the Best Maryland Betting Apps & Mobile Sites
The following section is a detailed review of the top five offshore sportsbooks from our top 10 list above. Review the pros and cons of each and see where your personal preference guides you as you look for your top online betting site for betting on sports in Maryland:
1. BetOnline: Opinionated Lines for Top Markets
Our top sports betting app is Costa Rica’s BetOnline, which receives an A+ rating from our grading system. You will get opinionated lines on top markets such as football, basketball and baseball. You can use these opinionated lines in parlays, guaranteeing you betting options that you won’t get from any other online sportsbook.
There are many different leagues and sports available to bet on as well as some non-sports markets (such as entertainment and politics). The site design is solid with menus for props builder, odds booster and the live betting section is easy to use on a mobile device.
New users will enjoy the promotions offered at BetOnline, including a 50% Sports Welcome Bonus on your first deposit (up to $1,000). You can also get a 25% sports reload bonus or 35% on crypto deposits. Your first player prop wager and live bet wager are both on the house (a $25 value) and you can also recommend a prop bet to be run on the site.
- Quality prop builder with opinionated lines
- Bet on everything from table tennis to handball
- Quick payouts
- Free pro league pick ‘em contests with real cash prizes
- Fun sports-related promotions
- Bonuses only valid for sportsbook
2. Bovada: The Best Prop Builder in the Industry
Bovada is another well-graded, well-known sportsbook operating out of Costa Rica. You can bet on a wide variety of markets that are organized in a neat A-Z menu on the home page.
The props builder is one of the best in the industry with plenty of over/under choices for the top leagues as well as prepared specials and player-performance doubles for each game.
While Bovada lacks a native app for download, you can add the Bovada mobile site to your home screen for instant access on your mobile device. The site is also good for live betting on various sports and major event betting. There are also a number of generous bonuses that are available.
- Site design is simplistic but easy to use for betting
- Superb props builder
- Caters to crypto users
- A must-have for poker players
- Not that many promotions for existing users
- Smaller bonuses if you don’t use crypto
- They don’t post the earliest betting lines in the industry like Bookmaker
3. BookMaker: Open To Sharps & New Players Alike
If you are serious about sports betting, then the BookMaker mobile sportsbook is hard to pass up. This Costa Rica-based sportsbook has been online for over 25 years and has earned a reputation for getting the earliest betting lines out. Sharp bettors can hammer those lines before the public starts skewing things in another direction.
With high betting limits and the ability to request up to five payouts per week, you can get a lot done as a sports bettor with Bookmaker as your primary online sportsbook. They also provide a good racebook and some casino games to play for a change of pace, including video poker.
If you join BookMaker’s excellent loyalty program, then you can eventually get 20% cash on your reload bonuses (up to $2,500). The initial welcome bonus is worth as much as $500 in bonus money with a 10x rollover.
- Sharps eat up the early betting lines on sports
- High limits
- Request up to five payouts per week
- Good live betting on mobile site
- Loyalty program offers generous reload bonuses
- They do sides/totals better than they do prop bets
- No poker tournaments available
4. Heritage Sports: Reduced Juice & Live Betting
Is Costa Rica big enough for four great online sportsbooks? You bet they are. Heritage Sports is another great mobile sportsbook option that has been around since 2001. Formerly an invite-only service, anyone can join today, including Maryland users.
The reduced juice cash-back program is something the site loves to promote and for good reason. Many sites will offer one or the other, but you will get reduced juice betting lines (-108 lines instead of the standard -110) and cash back every quarter on your sports bets at Heritage Sports.
You also get some of the best live betting choices in the industry with one of the nicest-looking sites. They also do a good job with their racebook, offer demo versions of every casino game and give esports their own hub as well, if that’s your thing.
You won’t get the biggest promotions with Heritage Sports, but their cash-back program is top-notch and you can get unique perks like a free parlay on your birthday (up to a $500 value) or getting every eighth deposit free on the house.
- Reduced juice cash-back program is great for sports and casino
- One of the best for live betting
- Free parlay on your birthday adds a nice personal touch
- One of the smallest welcome bonuses
- Lack the poker tournaments found at Bovada and BetOnline
5. BetUS: Helps You Become a Better Bettor
Since 1994, BetUS has been taking sports bets, giving it the confidence to claim itself as “America’s Favorite Sportsbook.” It is definitely top-five material for our grading system.
BetUS checks a lot of the boxes by offering a deep selection of sports betting markets, including prop picks and live betting. They also have one of the better racebooks on our list and their casino is one of the best we have seen.
With BetUS TV, the company really offers something none of the rivals do at this point. They have experts who provide analysis and picks on shows (via YouTube) for many different types of sports. This provides a more complete betting experience if you want to make BetUS your one-stop shop for sports betting each week. Other sites should follow their lead with this TV service.
The sign-up bonuses at BetUS are unique. You can get a 200% match of your first deposit if you use crypto. It is split into two parts: 150% on sports (up to $3,750) and 50% for the casino (up to $1,250). That is a total of $5,000 in bonus money if you deposit the maximum amount ($2,500) using crypto. The sports bonus has a 15x rollover and the casino has a 30x rollover. They must be used within 14 days of receiving the promotion.
- Welcome bonuses are large and get you started on the sportsbook and casino
- BetUS TV provides expert analysis that you won’t get from rivals
- Useful guides
- Good online casino offerings with demos of everything
- Desktop version performs better than the mobile site
- Be aware that welcome bonuses expire after 14 days
How We Rank the Best Maryland Betting Apps & Mobile Sites
At Bookmakers Review we research each offshore sportsbook and grade it against a series of important metrics that we think a quality site should possess. We want to share some of those metrics so that you know what to look for when choosing the right online betting site in Maryland.
Mobile Betting Experience
With so many bets placed on a phone now, it is very important for a great site design that makes it easy to enjoy mobile betting; live or pre-game. We also want to be able to add money to our account on the fly, build parlays with ease and enjoy a site that won’t crash during high-traffic times like right before the start of the next playoff game.
Live Mobile Betting & Streaming
Live betting continues to get more popular and is one of the best ways to use your handheld device to place bets while actively watching a game. Most of our top 10 sites offer deep live betting markets so, no matter which hour of the day it is, you can likely find some action going on somewhere in the world.
Our top sites do a great job of giving you different banking methods ranging from old-school methods (checks, credit cards, money orders, wire transfers) to more modern options (P2P, eWallets, cryptocurrency options). There are also fees and different waiting times associated with your preferred payment method. These are available on each site and you should familiarize yourself with the differences when selecting what method is best for you. Sites that provide a detailed crypto guide for those wishing to learn how to use it get a higher grade as well.
The best customer service sites will offer 24/7 support in a variety of contact methods from email to phone calls to video chat. But 24/7 support with quick response time is the ideal goal.
Licensing & Security
You should feel confident that the site you are using is safe, that it will keep your personal information secure and that it is a legitimate company that is licensed to operate in its country of origin. The sites we have chosen for our top 10 all passed this test with flying colors.
Maryland’s Sports Betting Timeline
Maryland’s relationship with sports betting has been a remarkable tale of legislative shifts and economic growth. Since the U.S. Supreme Court’s pivotal decision in 2018 to overturn the federal ban on sports betting, the state has embarked on a path of progressive legalization and regulation, culminating in a vibrant market. This timeline traces the key milestones in Maryland’s sports betting history, starting with legislative efforts and culminating in significant economic achievements and expansions in the industry:
- November 2023: ESPN BET is set to launch in Maryland and 16 other states. Maryland sports betting sets a revenue record in October.
- October 2023: MSF Sports is granted a retail sports betting license in Maryland.
- October 2023: Discussions are underway for a Maryland retail sportsbook at the Fairgrounds.
- October 2023: Greene Turtle raises $6 million in equity following the announcement of its new sportsbook in Towson.
- October 2023: A second Greene Turtle site becomes the newest Maryland retail sportsbook.
- June 2023: Maryland reports a sports betting handle of $254.5 million for June, with overall wagering for the fiscal year 2023 approaching $3 billion. Operators claim $18.9 million in taxable revenue.
- July 2023: Fanatics makes its online debut in Maryland, becoming the state’s 10th sports betting app.
- 2023: Projections suggest that retail and online sportsbook operators in Maryland could generate more than $481 million in revenue from over $4 billion in legal wagers for the year.
- November 2020: Maryland voters approve a referendum to legalize sports betting in the state, with nearly two-thirds of the votes in favor.
- May 2020: Maryland Governor Larry Hogan signs a bill into law to allow for the regulation and taxation of sports betting in the state, pending the outcome of the November 2020 referendum.
- 2019: Maryland lawmakers introduce multiple bills to legalize sports betting in the state, but none of them pass.
- 2018: The U.S. Supreme Court overturns the federal ban on sports betting, allowing states to legalize and regulate it on their own.
Maryland’s sports betting timeline is a testament to the state’s adaptability and forward-thinking approach in the rapidly evolving world of sports wagering.
Comparing the Best Maryland Betting Apps & Mobile Sites
The following table is a summary to compare our 10 highest-graded online sportsbooks for their years in service, rating, payment methods and a link to a review for each one.
|Sportsbook||Rating||Online Since||Payment Methods||Read Review|
|BetOnline||A+||2001||Credit Card, Bitcoin, Crypto, Cashiers Check, Bank Transfer, P2P||BetOnline Review|
|Bovada||A+||2011||Credit Card, Bitcoin||Bovada Review|
|Bookmaker||A+||1996||Credit Card, Bitcoin, P2P, Crypto||Bookmaker Review|
|Heritage Sports||A+||2001||Credit Card, Bitcoin, Cashiers Check, Bank Transfer, P2P||Heritage Sports Review|
|BetUS||A||2000||Credit Card, Bitcoin, Bank Transfer, P2P||BetUS Review|
|BetAnySports||A+||2002||Credit Card, Bitcoin, Electronic Check||BetAnySports Review|
|WagerWeb||A||1994||Credit Card, Bitcoin, Cashiers Check, Bank Transfer, P2P||WagerWeb Review|
|JustBet||A||2000||Credit Card, Bitcoin, P2P, Crypto||JustBet Review|
|Everygame||A||1996||Credit Card, Bitcoin, Skrill, Neteller, Bank Transfer, P2P||Everygame Review|
|SportsBetting||A||2002||Credit Card, Bitcoin, Crypto, Cashiers Check, Bank Transfer, P2P||SportsBetting Review|
Our experts have given BetOnline, Bovada, Bookmaker.eu and Heritage Sports each an A+ rating.
Types of Maryland Mobile Betting Bonus Codes & Promo Offers
There are always bonuses and promo codes associated with these sites to keep you going back for more. It is important to understand how they work and what’s really a deal to you. The following are different examples of the types of promotions and perks you will see on these offshore sportsbooks.
Welcome Bonuses & Deposit Bonuses
The most popular promotion that you will often see advertised for an online sportsbook is the welcome bonus. This is usually in the form of matching your first deposit, sometimes up to $1,000 or more depending on the site or online sports betting app and can be claimed during the registration process.
Sometimes your second and third deposits also get matched if the promotion allows for it. Crypto users usually can get a little more on their first-deposit bonuses if they use that method to make their transactions.
But with any welcome bonus, you should read the fine print about what the rollover requirement is. That number is going to tell you how many times you will have to wager that bonus money until it is cleared to be withdrawn from your account as real money. That number can get very high for casino bonuses, but the sports rollover requirements are usually among the lowest.
Returning Customer Promotions
It is always nice to see your loyalty rewarded. Some sportsbooks will offer you more lucrative promotions based on your betting level with the site. The more you bet, the more likely those rewards are going to be a larger number.
But there is a variety of returning customer promotions you can expect to see:
- Enhanced/Boosted Odds: These are common for sports bets. You may see a line that is usually -110 get boosted to +150 for that day as part of a promotion. You just have to opt-in and claim the promotion to get the odds. There is usually a strict limit associated with these boosts and they are one-time bets that cannot be combined into parlays. Some feel that you should always fade the books when they offer these boosts, but there are plenty of times when they do in fact hit and anyone who played them got a nice boost in profit.
- Reload Bonuses: These are basically just deposit matches for people who have a history of depositing money on a site. Put in $100 and expect them to match 50% or so. If you were going to make a deposit anyway that day, it is basically getting free money. These are offered often.
- Risk-free Bets & Bonus Bets: These promotional wagers are always fun to see available. If you make a bet of a certain amount and it loses, you can get your stake back as a free bet. Just be aware those free bets earned through these promotional wagers usually expire within a week.
- Free Bets: These can come as the reward to a risk-free bet or as part of a promotion for the first time you place a certain bet, such as your first live bet, first parlay or first horse race bet.
Online sports betting sites frequently offer these types of ongoing promotions to existing customers.
Mobile Site vs. App for Betting in Maryland
As Maryland residents will soon see when they can download apps for sportsbooks from major US companies, it is often easier to log in to a native app for mobile sports betting. However, the online betting sites in our list currently lack a native app that can be downloaded at the Apple Store or Play Store for iPhone and Android users.
But you can always check out the mobile site on your favorite device, which can then be bookmarked or saved to your home screen for quick, future access. We looked at some of the pros and cons of the methods of engaging in mobile sports betting on a mobile site compared to a mobile app.
Every offshore sportsbook in our list has a solid mobile site that you can access to place bets. Just visit the site and log in.
- Not taking up storage space on your phone with a growing cache the more you use it
- Not using your monthly data allotment on your phone
- No need to worry about downloading app updates or removing old versions of app to install new ones
- Higher security risks
- May have to type in password more often
Using a native app is going to be like using the website, but you will notice some differences.
- One-click access to enter the app
- Use your phone’s high-tech login method (fingerprint or code) for quick access to your account
- Use the stored password on your phone so you don’t have to remember it or write it down somewhere
- You can quickly share photos of your bets with friends or social media following
- These usually have better aesthetics than the regular mobile site
- Easier to multi-task (research stats) while betting on a PC or larger screen than on your phone
- Must always be on the lookout for app updates, which take up storage
- Geolocation on a phone can be very hit or miss
- App can lag more than the site based on strength of your Wi-Fi connection
Best Maryland Betting App & Mobile Site: Conclusion
If you are wondering what our personal choice is for the best online sportsbook apps for legal sports betting, the truth is we use all the ones in our top five for different reasons. But if we were to only choose one, it would be BetOnline.
The payments are the fastest, the site design works no matter if you are building a parlay or playing casino games, the variety in sports markets is great, live betting is easy to do, the promos are varied and unique and the contests are fun to play. You can trust that with its reputation, you will enjoy a secure betting experience with BetOnline.
Maryland Betting Guides
For those in Maryland interested in expanding their gambling options, we advise consulting our detailed guides on the other gambling activities available in Maryland:
FAQs – Maryland Sports Betting Apps
Yes, Maryland passed a sports betting law legalizing sports betting on November 23, 2022. There is now a wide range of retail locations that accept sports bets. The legal betting age is 21 at retail sportsbooks in the state.
Yes, Maryland permits online betting. The state has legalized sports betting and currently offers 12 online sportsbooks, which include BetMGM, Caesars, PointsBet and other online sports betting sites and online betting apps. Bettors in the state can also use an offshore sportsbook.
In Maryland, you can place mobile bets through 12 online sportsbooks, including online options such as BetMGM, Caesars, DraftKings, FanDuel and ESPN BET and top-rated options such as BetOnline, Bovada, BookMaker and Heritage Sports. These sportsbooks provide user-friendly platforms and diverse sports options for mobile betting.
In Maryland, you can place a bet if you are at least 21 years old and located within the state. Choose an online sportsbook, create a new account and claim your welcome bonus for new players. Then, select your preferred odds and place your bet.
Yes, Bovada, one of our highest-rated online sportsbooks for Maryland bettors, is available in the state. New users can take advantage of a generous sign-up promo and Bovada accepts online wagering on college sports and professional teams in the state.
Maverick Carter, LeBron James’ manager, admitted to making 20 illegal bets on the NBA with Wayne Nix, a former minor league pitcher. The extensive investigation uncovers connections between Nix and sports figures, with Carter clarifying his involvement and denying any charges. Yasiel Puig faces trial in January.
Nevada achieves a landmark, breaking $2 billion in sports betting revenue post-PASPA. October’s $68.1 million, the third-highest in history, underscores the state’s robust industry growth, positioning it among the top five states in adjusted gross revenues.
Explore the delay in mobile sports betting in North Carolina following the Super Bowl. Regulatory steps push the launch to post-Feb 11, 2024. The 10-year partnership between Hornets and bet365 adds anticipation, offering a glimpse into the future of digital sports betting in the Tar Heel State.
The Kenosha County-Monominee Tribe casino deal in Wisconsin is on hold till January 16. Board members, voting 13-7, seek more time for scrutiny, delaying the $80M revenue-sharing agreement. The proposed $360M casino complex awaits approval from the city, county, and regulatory bodies.