Reduced Juice Sportsbooks
by Bookmakers Review I Updated June 17, 2022
Your chances of earning a long-term profit will be significantly improved if you find an online sportsbook that offers reduced juice betting lines.
We will explain what reduced juice means, highlight why it is so beneficial to bettors and teach you how to take advantage of it.
We will also highlight the best online sportsbooks that deal reduced juice lines.
What Does “Reduced Juice” Mean?
The house edge is known as the juice. The Juice is also known as vigorish, or vig for short.
*Your goal as a bettor is to find an online sportsbook that takes the smallest house edge.
Sportsbooks build a house edge into their betting lines. This helps them pay their overheads, cover staff costs and earn a profit.
How to Identify Reduced Juice at an Online Sportsbook
This is an example of a standard juice line at an online sportsbook:
|Kansas City Chiefs||-2.5||-110|
The sportsbook is offering standard betting odds of -110 on either side of the bet. That means it is taking a house edge of 4.77%.
You would need to win 53% of your bets in the long-term to generate an overall profit when betting at standard juice odds.
This is an example of a reduced juice line at an online sportsbook:
|Kansas City Chiefs||-2.5||-105|
In this example, the sportsbook is offering more appealing odds of -105 on either side of the bet. That means you only need to risk $105 to win $100, as opposed to $110. You are essentially receiving a 50% discount.
The house edge on -105 / -105 lines is just 2.46%. Consistently betting on reduced juice lines gives you a significantly better chance of earning a profit in the long-term.
If you win just 51.5% of your wagers when betting at -105 lines, you will end up in profit overall.
Different Types of Reduced Juice
When a sportsbook offers -105 on either side of a bet, it is sometimes referred to as a nickel line. This is a very appealing line. It means that the sportsbook is offering full reduced juice.
However, it may not always be -105 on either side. For example, you might find -107 on one team covering the spread and -103 on the other team covering. Alternatively, you might see a line of -108 / -102.
Technically, if a sportsbook offers odds that are more attractive than -110 on either side of a bet, it constitutes reduced juice. For example, if you find -109 on either team covering, that represents slightly reduced juice.
Just to be clear, this is not a reduced juice line:
|Golden State Warriors||-4.5||-105|
The sportsbook is offering -105 on one side of the bet, but it is offering -115 on the other side, so the overall house edge remains at the 4.71% mark.
You can work out if a sportsbook is offering reduced juice by pretending you will cover both sides of the bet.
Example of Standard Juice Lines (Full Vig)
- Team A: $110 to win $100
- Team B: $110 to win $100
- Team A: $115 to win $100
- Team B: $105 to win $100
If the total charge to win $200 is less than $220, it is a reduced juice line.
Choosing a Reduced Juice Sportsbook
We have identified four high-quality online sportsbooks that offer full reduced juice:
- Bet105 | As the name suggests, this online sportsbook provides -105 betting lines. It is owned by Heritage Sports, one of the most reputable and trustworthy names in the industry. Bet105 also offers a stylish interface, rapid withdrawals, an extensive live betting section and a huge choice of prop bets.
- BetAnySports | This is a great option for anyone seeking reduced juice betting lines. The interface is not quite as polished at Bet105’s platform, but you cannot argue with the value on offer. If you choose the reduced juice package at BetAnySports, you will receive a 50% discount on major American sports, Grand Slam tennis, PGA Tour golf tournaments and special events.
- Pinnacle | Pinnacle is one of the most famous online sportsbooks in the business. It operates on some of the slimmest margins in the world, allowing Pinnacle to offer very generous odds across the board. You will often find -105 lines, and sometimes it offers even greater discounts.
- Lucky99 | Pinnacle is one of the most famous online sportsbooks in the business. It operates on some of the slimmest margins in the world, allowing Pinnacle to offer very generous odds across the board. You will often find -105 lines, and sometimes it offers even greater discounts.
Those sportsbooks can all be relied upon to grade your bets fairly, and to pay out on time and in full if you win.
There are also some online sportsbooks that offer partial reduced juice. For example, Heritage Sports offers a reduced juice-cash back bonus package, which includes -108 / -108 betting lines and an 8¢ progressive baseball line. GTBets also offers -109 / -109 on NFL point spreads.
The Pros of Reduced Juice Sports betting
The pros of reduced juice sports betting are obvious:
- You stand a better chance of profiting in the long-term if you consistently risk less of your own money to earn the same payout that a standard juice sportsbook is offering.
- Reduced juice sportsbooks appeal to sharp bettors, and they regularly offer high betting limits.
- Better hedging and arbitrage opportunities can arise when you bet on one team to cover at a reduced juice sportsbook and then go looking for weak lines on the opposing team elsewhere.
The Cons of Reduced Juice Sports betting
The are some downsides to bear in mind when deciding if you should sign up with a reduced juice sportsbook:
- Reduced juice sportsbooks rarely offer bonuses. If you value sign-up offers and reload bonuses, it might not be the best option for you. Heritage Sports finds a happy medium by offering partial reduced juice along with a 50% sign-up bonus and a 10% reload bonus.
- The software and the customer service may not be quite as slick as the support available at rival online sportsbooks that offer standard juice. Betting sites can offer reduced juice by cutting costs elsewhere and operating on a lean model.
However, those cons are typically outweighed by the ability to consistently bet at reduced juice odds. You will unlock a lot more value in the long run by eschewing a welcome bonus and elite customer support.