UFC Vegas 71 Hot Prospect Pick
We’re back with another hot prospect of the week betting pick, as we believe one of our fighters will own a huge advantage in his return to the octagon.
Continue reading for our betting guide and UFC picks, taking a first look at Ricky Glenn and his opponent, Christos Giagos.
UFC Vegas 71 Information
- When: Saturday, April 22, 2023 – 07:00 PM EDT
- Where: UFC Apex, Las Vegas, Nevada
- Scheduled Fights: 12
- Main Event: Curtis Blaydes vs. Sergei Pavlovich (UFC Heavyweight Bout)
Ricky Glenn: Hot Prospect Profile
- Pro MMA Record: 22-6-2 (11 KO, 5 submissions, 6 decisions)
- UFC Record: 4-3 (1 KO, 3 decisions)
Having made his professional MMA debut on the Iowa regional scene in 2006, Ricky Glenn is a well-seasoned veteran that we haven’t seen inside the octagon as much as we’d like. The UFC didn’t pick up Glenn until he was 23 fights into his career (2016), and we’ve only witnessed him compete at the highest level in seven bouts since then.
That said, we know the Iowa native is versatile and highly experienced. He’s bounced between multiple high-level gyms over the years, including Roufusport, Team Alpha, and currently trains with Absolute MMA and Fitness.
Owning a background in boxing that he initially started aged 14, the now 33-year-old has catered to his mixed martial arts skillset and is a notable brown belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. He’s unquestionably more confident in his offensive boxing output, but his grappling and wrestling are serviceable to the point where he’s never been stopped by submission inside the UFC octagon.
Ricky Glenn vs. Christos Giagos: The Fight Tape
Glenn hasn’t stepped foot inside the cage since a majority draw decision versus Grant Dawson in October of 2021. While the layoff is a concern, he presents a diverse skillset that should counteract an offensive wrestling game plan where his weekend opponent has found much success in the past.
Standing across him from the octagon will be Christos Giagos (19-10-0), a fighter that’s presented many red flags during his UFC tenure. He owns a 5-6 record for the promotion, and his losses have predominantly been centered around a lack of fight IQ and cardio. In addition, 4 of his 6 UFC defeats were by submission or KO/TKO; he’ll either falter to submissions or heavy hands due to a lack of cardio.
Giagos will be a huge threat in the first five minutes like he often has. However, in a 15-minute bout, it’s difficult to overlook the technical striking advantage of Glenn and a fighter that will not only present a submission threat but possibly have the skills to keep this fight standing.
Glenn Moneyline (-144): UFC Vegas 71 Hot Prospect Best Bet
The available UFC odds at Bookmakers Review opened Ricky Glenn’s moneyline with a -200 price tag. The line has swiftly moved in the opposite direction at U.S. betting sites, and we’re now gifted a -144 piece of value.
The opening line felt more accurate than the current odds as the experience, cardio, durability, and striking advantages that favor Glenn should be enough to seal the victory.
UFC Pick: Ricky Glenn ML (-144) [1.44u to win 1u] at BetOnline
UFC Vegas 71 Main Card & Odds
- Sergei Pavlovich vs. Curtis Blaydes [UFC heavyweight main event bout]
- Brad Tavares vs. Bruno Silva [UFC light middleweight co-main event bout]
- Bobby Green vs. Jared Gordon [UFC lightweight bout]
- Iasmin Lucindo vs. Brogan Walker [UFC flyweight bout]
- Jeremiah Wells vs. Matt Semelsberger [UFC welterweight bout]
UFC Vegas 71 Preliminary Card & Odds
- Ricky Glenn vs. Christos Giagos [UFC lightweight bout]
- Rani Yahya vs. Montel Jackson [UFC bantamweight bout]
- Karol Rosa vs. Norma Dumont [UFC women’s featherweight bout]
- Mohammed Usman vs. Junior Tafa [UFC heavyweight bout]
- Francis Marshall vs. William Gomis [UFC featherweight bout]
- Priscila Cachoeira vs. Karine Silva [UFC women’s flyweight bout]
- Batgerel Danaa vs. Brady Hiestand [UFC bantamweight bout]
*The line and/or odds on picks in this article might have moved since the content was commissioned. For updated line movements, visit BMR’s free betting odds product.