Editor’s Note: The Manel Kape vs. Rogerio Bontorin has been canceled after Bontorin had to be hospitalized due to renal insufficiency from cutting weight, according to official sources.
Read on for our complete UFC 275 betting guide – taking the first look at our hottest prospect of the week, Manel Kape and his opponent Rogerio Bontorin. Including updated UFC odds and our free expert UFC betting picks.
Manel “Starboy” Kape (17-6-0)
Manel Kape returns to his home away from home this weekend. Formerly, the “Starboy” was a massive star in the Asian MMA promotion RIZIN, and he’ll undoubtedly add some pay-per-view numbers for the UFC 275 trip to Singapore on Saturday.
When the UFC acquired his services, Kape was the bantamweight champion and competed at an elite level, pushing him straight into the top rankings when arriving in America.
The Angolan-born athlete represents and was raised in Portugal. Still, his skills have been honed under the tutelage of Mike Swick at the American Kickboxing Academy (AKA gym) and AKA Thailand in Phuket. His origin fighting style is boxing, but a complete transition to MMA during his teens has produced an all-around striking machine.
As previously mentioned, Kape didn’t join the UFC rankings from the bottom; he was thrown to the wolves, evidence of the promotion’s confidence in their hiring.
He’s been dealt some rough decisions, but now we’re finally watching Kape settle into his new position as top-10 UFC ranked flyweight, and he’s notably riding a two-fight, first-round knockout win streak.
Manel Kape vs. Rogerio Bontorin
UFC Flyweight Bout
Saturday, June 11, 2022 – 09:05 PM EDT at Singapore Indoor Stadium
Manel Kape Fight Analysis
- Manel Kape is one of the most – if not the most – technical striker in the flyweight division. Behind beautiful boxing, his output is a diverse, technical, and lightning-fast set of strikes that are incredibly difficult for the opposition to read.
- Kape's ability to faint and force his opponents counter strikes is something special. He mixes up shots to the head and body whilst carefully managing fight-ending explosiveness that's assisted his professional record with 11 knockouts.
- He loves to stand and bang, and usually, this style would reveal a handful of KO losses on a fighter's record, but notably, he's never been stopped inside the distance.
- We've seen Kape rocked and on wobbly legs, but his durability has stood the test of time which is another attribute we can rely on.
Kape vs. Bontorin Betting Pick and Odds
Rogerio Bontorin (17-4-0) is a legit UFC flyweight and has fought some of the stiffest competition the 125lb division offers. The Brazilian native has power in his hands and a notable jiu-jitsu offense, but his time spent in the UFC has been a difficult one.
BMR's top-rated sportsbook's opening line has placed this fight with Kape as the significant betting favorite (-225), and the difference in the level of striking is the reason why.
Kape is an elite striker, and Bontorin isn't, nothing more and nothing less. We're going to witness a significant speed difference, and unless Bontorin can chain grapple and hold Kape down – which I doubt – I can't see any route to scoring points for the Brazilian.
The favorite will control distance, read the incoming strikes, and consistently move. Bontorin won't be able to close the distance, and eventually, I envision a Kape knockout.
UFC 275 Main Card and Odds
- Glover Teixeira vs. Jiri Prochazka [UFC Light Heavyweight Championship Bout]
- Valentina Shevchenko vs. Taila Santos [UFC Women's Flyweight Championship Bout]
- Weili Zhang vs. Joanna Jedrzejczyk [UFC Women’s Strawweight Bout]
- Rogerio Bontorin vs. Manel Kape [UFC Flyweight Bout]
- Jack Della Maddalena vs. Ramazan Emeev [UFC Welterweight Bout]
*The line and/or odds on picks in this article might have moved since the content was commissioned. For updated line movements, visit BMR’s free betting odds product.