The most prestigious tournament in the world is into its second day when play continues at the All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club. Wimbledon was marred by rain on the first day, so there will be a scramble to ensure all the first-round matches continue on time.
Let’s take a look at today’s action to find another winning tennis pick.
Serena Williams vs. Harmony Tan
Tuesday, June 28, 2022 – 11:45 AM EDT at Centre Court
Serena Williams is back! The greatest women's player of the last 20 years returns to the court here at Wimbledon. After suffering an ankle injury in this same tournament last year, Williams has only entered one tennis event. That was the doubles in Eastbourne last week, partnering with Ons Jabeur.
Now, Serena has another opportunity to display her greatness and make a run at history as she attempts to shake the rust off and make a run here at Wimbledon. Let's take a look at her and her next rival, Harmony Tan, to see how these two players match up.
Serena Williams Player Profile
- Serena Williams is arguably the greatest player of all time. Undoubtedly, the greatest player of her generation.
- Williams has won 23 Grand Slam titles.
- Needs one more Grand Slam victory to tie the record set by Margaret Court.
- Williams has won Wimbledon 7 times. The most recent win was in 2016.
- Williams is a prodigious server. She has arguably the best serve in the history of the women's game.
- Her serve plays well on the quick grass of Wimbledon.
- Williams is powerful from the baseline. Williams can hit through opponents and is also a master of angles from the baseline, which makes her powerful shots even more effective.
- Williams has not played singles in over a year.
- Williams did look sharp in doubles and her level of play has increased with every match.
- Williams could conceivably play her way into form to challenge the top players here at the tournament.
Regardless of the result, it is exciting for the fans to be able to see this all-time great one more time.
Harmony Tan Player Profile
- Harmony Tan is a 24-year-old French player ranked 115 in the world.
- Tan is 2-4 in her career at Grand Slam events.
- Tan has struggled this season. Her two wins in a row at Gaiba were her first time winning consecutive main draw matches this season.
- Tan is 3-2 on grass this season.
- Tan is a right-handed player and hits with a two-handed backhand.
- Tan is a balanced player in her approach to tennis.
- Tan does show flashes of aggressiveness and can play above-average defense, but is not elite at attacking or defending.
- Serena Williams will have the advantage in all aspects of the game. She has a better serve and more powerful groundstrokes.
- Harmony Tan's path to victory will be to exploit Serena's lack of match play.
- Tan will need to be consistent in order to be able to defeat Serena.
- The match is essentially on the racquet of Serena Williams. If she plays anywhere close to her best level she will win.
- If Tan is able to be consistent and ask questions about Serena’s fitness, Tan has a chance to upset the all-time great.
- Serena Williams will be coming into this match rusty.
Williams vs. Tan Betting Analysis
This is an excellent opportunity for Serena Williams to play herself back into top form. Of course, there is a lot of guessing involved in this match, but I believe it's also reasonable to assume that she will not come out and play her best level of tennis right away.
There will be some level of an acclimation process as she returns to play top-level tennis. Of course, Serena Williams is a truly great player, and it should come back fairly easily. Still, I do expect some hiccups along the way.
This is a great opportunity for Harmony Tan to showcase her skills on the big stage. This will definitely be the biggest match of her career and even keeping it close will do well to raise her player profile.
Williams vs. Tan Best Bet
Although I expect Serena Williams will get the win, I do believe Harmony Tan will acquit herself well and we are getting great WTA odds on the total. It should take a bit for Serena to play her way back into form.
Our best bet for today's primetime Wimbledon showdown is Serena Williams/Harmony Tan over 20.5 games.
*The line and/or odds on picks in this article might have moved since the content was commissioned. For updated line movements, visit BMR’s free betting odds product.