Game 1 of the NHL’s Western Conference Finals between the Oilers and Avalanche was an offensive, well, avalanche. Expect more of the same in Game 2 on Thursday, and here’s our parlay recommendation with NHL odds from BetOnline, one of BMR’s top-rated sportsbooks.
Edmonton Oilers vs. Colorado Avalanche
Thursday, June 02, 2022 – 08:00 PM EDT at Ball Arena
NHL Game 1 Recap
TNT has Game 2 of the Western Conference Finals with the Avalanche up 1-0 after a wildly entertaining 8-6 Game 1 victory on Tuesday. On the updated series line at the NHL odds board, Colorado is -425 and Edmonton +345.
Our three-legged parlay for Game 1 hit at +277: Avalanche at -180 on the moneyline, over an alternate total of 5.5 goals at -240, and Edmonton’s Leon Draisaitl over 0.5 assists at -140, all with BetOnline.
Teams that take a 1-0 lead in a best-of-seven series at home hold a record of 348-117 (.748) all-time and a 4-3 (.571) mark in these playoffs. Colorado is 20-11 overall in a best-of-seven when taking a 1-0 lead, and Edmonton is 11-12 when trailing 1-0 in a best-of-seven.
NHL Goaltending Playoffs Breakdown
Let me be clear that I don’t think either bit of goaltending news matters in terms of what I’m recommending player prop-wise or on the total. Here is my Stanley Cup Playoffs goaltending breakdown:
- No. 1 Darcy Kuemper is in question for Game 2 after leaving Game 1 in the second period with an upper-body injury. Darcy Kuemper is 6-2 in these playoffs with a 2.65 goals-against average and .897 save percentage.
- Backup Pavel Francouz relieved Kuemper in Game 2 and nearly allowed the Oilers to rally from a 7-3 deficit. Francouz did start and win two games in Round 1 vs. Nashville when Kuemper was dealing with an injured eye. Francouz is 3-0 in these playoffs with a 3.59 GAA and .889 SV.
- 40-year-old Oilers netminder Mike Smith isn’t hurt, he was just bad in Game 1 allowing six goals on 25 shots before being pulled fairly early in the second period. In Game 1 of the first round lost 9-6 in Calgary.
- Backup Mikko Koskinen was much better than Smith in stopping 20 of 21 shots on Tuesday.
Oilers vs. Avalanche Betting Picks
Coach Jared Bednar should announce his Game 2 starter following the Thursday morning skate, but because Denver is Mountain time, that may be later than we’d like. However, because I don’t know the goaltenders, I’m not picking a side as part of our NHL Game 2 parlay.
Both Colorado and Edmonton are going to score at least three goals. That’s a fact, regardless of who is in next. Instead of an overall total, we will pick that way to boost our parlay price.
NHL Pick: Avalanche Over 2.5 Goals (-475) with BetOnline
NHL Pick: Oilers Over 2.5 Goals (-195) with BetOnline
NHL Prop Bets: Connor McDavid and Leon Draisaitl
Look, the McDavid and Draisaitl props are self-explanatory. Colorado might have the better team overall, but those two are unstoppable. McDavid had a goal and two assists in Game 1 and Draisaitl had two assists.
McDavid reached 50 career postseason points in his 34th game, the sixth player in NHL history to get the benchmark that quickly. While Draisaitl’s streak of five straight three-point games ended.
It was the sixth consecutive multi-point game and extended his postseason assist streak to nine games, tied for a franchise-record and a feat surpassed by only four players in NHL history. McDavid has 29 points in these playoffs and Draisaitl 28.
NHL Player Prop Pick: Connor McDavid Over 1.5 points (-130) with BetOnline
NHL Player Prop Pick: Leon Draisaitl Over 0.5 assists (-160) with BetOnline
NHL Prop Bet: Nazem Kadri
Colorado’s Nazem Kadri had a whopping nine shots in Game 1 and scored a power-play goal. Playing on the second line with forwards Valeri Nichushkin and Mikko Rantanen, Kadri is averaging 19:00 of ice time per game in the playoffs, including 3:18 on the power play, and has won 50 percent of face-offs.
While the Oilers will put their best defensive line out against Colorado’s No. 1 anchored by Nathan MacKinnon, Kadri can continue to fire away as the primary option on the No. 2 line. He also had seven shots in the series finale last round vs. St. Louis.
NHL Player Prop Pick: Nazem Kadri At Least 4 Shots (-132) with BetOnline
NHL Game 2 Betting Picks
- Avalanche Over 2.5 Goals (-475)
- Oilers Over 2.5 Goals (-195)
- Connor McDavid Over 1.5 points (-130)
- Leon Draisaitl Over 0.5 assists (-160)
- Nazem Kadri At Least 4 Shots (-132)
*The line and/or odds on picks in this article might have moved since the content was commissioned. For updated line movements, visit BMR’s free betting odds product.