We don’t think many people would have predicted the Oilers to go 3-1 up in this series and they can end the Battle of Alberta tonight with a win.
The Flames need a reaction and need their offense and goaltending to kick into gear. Check out our favorite betting play for NHL Game 5.
Edmonton Oilers vs. Calgary Flames
Thursday, May 26, 2022 – 09:30 PM EDT at Scotiabank Saddledome
The Oilers Playoffs Highlights
Evander Kane has stepped up big time in this playoffs, he has a chip on his shoulder after his multiple controversial and legal problems. Evander Kane is the top scorer with 12 goals thus far in the playoffs.
Conor McDavid averages 2.27 points per game, stats that are good enough to be up there with Oilers legend Wayne Gretzky.
Mike Smith has done his part in the net, and Leon Draisaitl has scored back-to-back assisted hat tricks, assisted a goal on 7 occasions in the previous two games, and has 15 assists this postseason.
What Do the Flames Need to Win Game 5?
The Calgary Flames need to get their offense going, having only scored 7 goals in the previous three games and their defense has allowed 14 goals.
The Flames had the 3rd best goaltending in the regular season but the Oilers have made easy work of that, and even at that are losing the shots on the net battle. Venezia Trophy winner Markstrom has been pounded this series averaging just 5.28 goals against and just .850 save%.
The Flames are winning all the major stat battles except for the one that counts the most, goals.
Oilers vs. Flames Playoffs Team Trends
Trends should never be your main source of information when it comes to making your betting picks, they are merely guidelines and mostly irrelevant information but nonetheless can be interesting to read.
- They are 5-1 in their last 6 games.
- The total has gone under in 9 of Edmonton's last 13 games played on a Thursday when on the road.
- They are 8-4 in their last 12 games on the road.
- The total has gone over in 4 of Calgary's last 5 games against Edmonton.
- They are 2-4 in their last 6 games.
- The total has gone over in 6 of Calgary's last 7 games against an opponent in the Pacific Division.
NHL Game 5 Betting Odds and Current Lines
- Moneyline: Despite winning 3 of the last games the Oilers are as high as +130 to win on the moneyline tonight, you will have to lay -155 to take the Calgary Flames.
- Total: Tonight’s total line has been set at 6.5 with the over highly juiced to -125 with the BMR's top-rated sportsbooks and betting sites. If you are liking the under it's currently priced at +115.
- Puck Line: The Oilers to cover the +1.5 PK line is -180 on the NHL odds board while the Flames to win by two or more goals are coming in at +165.
Oilers vs. Flames Score Prediction
The Oilers scored 14 goals in the previous three games compared to the Flames' 7 goals and that’s been the difference, but the oilers are being dominated in almost all the major stats in this series and yet they still find themselves outscoring the Flames.
Goaltender Mike Smith has been on fire, putting in performance after performance, not bad for a 40-year-old. However after all is said and done, we expect Mike Smith to see some regression or “have an off” night tonight.
The Flames spent the previous two games on the road and we must remember had a 3-1 lead in the 3rd period of game one, they aren’t that easy to beat at home and their numbers are expected to improve tonight.
The Flames have averaged 6 goals per game at home this season against the Oilers and scored 9 goals on two occasions. Given that we see another high-scoring affair in Calgary tonight the over 6.5 might be a play to consider.
Score Prediction: Oilers 3-4 Flames
NHL Game 5 Betting Pick
Unfortunately, we are not a fan of their moneyline NHL odds at -155. We have found a better value NHL pick, take the Calgary Flames to score over 3.5 team goals at -115.
*The line and/or odds on picks in this article might have moved since the content was commissioned. For updated line movements, visit BMR’s free betting odds product.