The New York Yankees will look to leave Minnesota with a series win against the Twins. With Gerrit Cole on the mound, should we expect anything else?
Let’s see what the MLB odds tell us at the top sportsbooks! Here are our picks and predictions for tonight’s game between the Yankees and the Twins.
New York Yankees vs. Minnesota Twins
Thursday, June 09, 2022 – 07:40 PM EDT at Target Field
MLB Teams Standings
New York Yankees
- The New York Yankees became the first team to reach 40 wins on the season.
- Currently, the Yankees are 40-16 on the year and clearly the best team in baseball.
- Tonight, the Yankees will finish up the series with their ace on the mound in Gerrit Cole. That likely doesn’t bode well for the Twins.
- The Twins have been resilient this year with a very solid starting rotation and timely hitting.
- The Twins have a 33-25 record and would be a playoff team if the season ended today.
Who Is Pitching for the Yankees Today?
The Yankees will send out Gerrit Cole, who has a 5-1 record with a 2.78 ERA on the season.
Despite starting the season in the worst possible way, Cole has been dominant with an xFIP of 2.61 in the last 30 days.
Cole has also struck out 33.3% of batters in that time frame and has walked 3% while earning 50% of ground balls and 16.7% of line drives. Dominance.
Who Is Pitching for the Twins Today?
Meanwhile, Dylan Bundy has been the exact opposite of Cole. He started the season hot and has since fallen apart.
Bundy has a 5.57 ERA on the year and a 5.37 xFIP in the last 30 days. He’s struck out only 17.3% of batters in that time frame and has allowed a BABIP of .345.
Bundy has really struggled against righties, allowing a .348 wOBA and ISO of .260. But even lefties have a .421 wOBA despite having limited power.
Yankees Lineup Analysis
- The Yankees have been elite against righties as of late.
- New York has a .217 ISO and wOBA of .353 against righties in the last 30 days with 11.7% of walks and just 21.5% of strikeouts.
- Righties with power like Aaron Judge and Giancarlo Stanton should have a field day against Bundy along with guys like Josh Donaldson and Jose Trevino, who have also hit righties well recently from the right side.
Twins Lineup Analysis
- The Twins, on the other hand, have also hit righties very well, with a .200 ISO and wOBA of .349 in the last 30 days.
- However, going up against Cole is a bit different than going up against other righties.
Yankees vs. Twins: Game Prediction
Twins Lineup Against Gerrit Cole
The Twins have a lot of potential against righties. We’ve seen Cole have bad games before. Sometimes, his bad performances will just randomly pop up.
Minnesota has above-average power from Byron Buxton, Jorge Polanco, Gary Sanchez, Trevor Larnach, Gio Urshela, and Nick Gordon.
Therefore, there’s a chance Cole earns 10 strikeouts but gives up a couple of home runs.
Yankees Lineup Against Dylan Bundy
On the other hand, the Yankees match up way better against Bundy. Bundy has been awful against righties in the last 30 days while also struggling against lefties with a high wOBA of .421 in the last 30 days.
The Yankees have elite power from the right side between Aaron Judge and Giancarlo Stanton and still have Josh Donaldson and Jose Trevino as well.
All but two players in the Yankees lineup are walking 9.5% or more against righties and only three batters have struck out more than 20.3% of the time against righties in the last 30 days.
MLB Betting Pick for Today
I like the Yankees to win this game, but we’re not going to bet the Yankees on the moneyline with the price so juiced. Instead, the Yankees -.5 F5 will be our MLB pick of the day.
Cole might have a hiccup or two, but Bundy could have a bunch of hiccups going up against a fierce Yankees lineup that has a ton of potential from the right side of the plate. Bundy’s strikeouts are low and he’s allowing over 40% of hard contact in the last 30 days with under 40% of ground balls induced.
Back the Yankees in the first five innings as they look for win number 41.
*The line and/or odds on picks in this article might have moved since the content was commissioned. For updated line movements, visit BMR’s free betting odds product.