The New York Yankees are red hot on the season and have the best record in baseball. But tougher competition is on its way as the Tampa Bay Rays come to town. Will the Rays cool off the Yankees and battle back in the AL East?
Let’s see what the MLB odds tell us at the top sportsbooks! Here are our best bets and predictions for tonight’s AL East game between the Rays and Yankees.
Tampa Bay Rays vs. New York Yankees
Tuesday, June 14, 2022 – 07:05 PM EDT at Yankee Stadium
MLB Teams Standings
- The New York Yankees will start a home series against the Tampa Bay Rays with the best record in baseball.
- The Yankees are 44-16 on the year but will finally have to play harder competition.
- The Tampa Bay Rays have a 35-25 record on the year.
Who Is Pitching for the Yankees Today?
The New York Yankees will send out Gerrit Cole, who has a 3.63 ERA on the season. In the last 30 days, Cole has had a 3.31 xFIP with 31.1% of strikeouts and 4.1% of walks.
However, righties currently have a .346 wOBA and ISO of .258 in the last 30 days against Cole. He’s giving up a whole lot of power to righties lately.
Who Is Pitching for the Rays Today?
On the other hand, former Yankee, Corey Kluber will get the start for the Rays. He has a 3.88 ERA on the year and an xFIP of 4.41 in the last 30 days.
Kluber has also struck out 23.3% of batters in the last 30 days with 2.9% of walks in those same 30 days.
Kluber, like Cole, is allowing a bit of power to righties but hasn’t cracked like Cole has when it comes down to it.
Yankees Lineup Analysis
- The Yankees have been elite against righties, hitting an ISO of .297 in the last 30 days against righties.
- New York also has a .387 wOBA against righties and has struck out just 19.4% of the time against righties in that same time frame.
- The big bats include Aaron Judge and Giancarlo Stanton, who both have elevated power numbers as right-handed hitters.
- Other power bats against righties include lefties like Anthony Rizzo, Matt Carpenter, and Joey Gallo.
Rays Lineup Analysis
- The Rays have been everything but elite offensively.
- The Rays have a .126 ISO and wOBA of .254 in the last 30 days against righties with 25.6% of strikeouts and just 6.6% of walks.
- The Rays still find ways to win with his lineup, which is something to consider.
Rays vs. Yankees: Game Prediction
Rays Lineup Against Gerrit Cole
On paper, the Yankees should have this game.
The Rays only have two consistent bats in their lineup between Ji-Man Choi and Randy Arozarena. Yandy Diaz has a .347 wOBA in the last 30 days against righties while Brett Phillips has a .192 ISO against righties in the last 30 days. But that’s about it in the Rays lineup.
The Rays have given Cole trouble before, however, so it’s not a given that Cole will have success against this Rays lineup.
Yankees Lineup Against Corey Kluber
Meanwhile, the Yankees have been able to beat up bad teams all year and now have a lineup that is just absolutely red hot. Things will eventually cool off, especially against a Rays pitching staff that is usually spotless for the most part.
Kluber has limited walks at a high rate and is earning a solid amount of strikeouts. Plus, the Yankees have just 15.6% of line drives hit against righties in the last 30 days. That’s also something to consider in this game.
The right-hander has also been tremendous against lefties, holding lefties to a .242 wOBA and ISO of .067 in his last 49 plate appearances against lefties.
MLB Betting Pick for Today
The Yankees are likely going to cool off on the offensive end in this series. But with the series at home, the Yankees still have an advantage with their lineup. On the other hand, Gerrit Cole has struggled to keep the ball in play recently and has had his struggles against the Rays before.
Therefore, I expect this game to be close throughout and believe the Rays can stick around against Cole and the Yankees with a couple of early runs to rattle Cole a bit.
Score Prediction: Rays 4 - Yankees 3
*The line and/or odds on picks in this article might have moved since the content was commissioned. For updated line movements, visit BMR’s free betting odds product.