BMR’s top-rated sportsbooks and betting sites have released their baseball odds for today’s baseball action. Two games, in particular, interest me as worth investing in Colorado vs. Cleveland and Texas vs. Detroit.
For your MLB picks, you should play the moneyline for both games.
Cleveland Guardians vs. Colorado Rockies
Thursday, June 16, 2022 – 03:10 PM EDT at Coors Field
Triston McKenzie to Start for the Guardians
The Guardians start Triston McKenzie in today's baseball game. He has been one of his team's more profitable pitchers as the Guardians are yielding +2.15 units in his starts.
During his most recent stretch of play, McKenzie has done a good job of limiting opposing scoring.
McKenzie has allowed two earned runs or fewer in three of his last four starts. His success has been consistent despite repeatedly having to start away from home.
- McKenzie's favorite pitches are his fastball and slider. These pitches combine to make up nearly 80 percent of his arsenal.
- Particularly, I like McKenzie because he matches up well against Colorado batters. They rank 25th against his pitches from righties.
- Coors Field is not like other ballparks. Its high altitude limits the number of types of pitchers who are able to succeed at this venue.
- Hence, Rockie pitchers tend to favor certain pitches over others. Many Colorado starting pitchers focus on throwing a fastball and slider.
Chad Kuhl to Start for Colorado
- Colorado starts Chad Kuhl who, performance-wise, has dropped off significantly after his strong first month of the season.
- His two favorite pitches are his sinker and slider, which combine to make up about 78 percent of his arsenal.
- Kuhl's favorite pitches are suffering a massive decrease in effectiveness. A minor velocity decline may partly explain this decrease.
- So far in June, opponents are hitting .462 and slugging .538 against his sinker. Moreover, they are hitting .357 and slugging .643 against his slider.
Kuhl vs. Guardian Batters
These current trends are particularly concerning because the Guardians already match up well with Kuhl. They rank seventh in slugging against Kuhl's two favorite pitches combined from righties. Right now, the Guardians are playing well overall.
Team rhythm is an important factor to consider in baseball betting because teams play almost every day, and how they play will tend to carry over from one game to the next.
Cleveland's current pattern is that it is tending to win games. The Guardians have won six of their last seven games.
Guardians Lineup Highlights
Their lineup is contributing greatly to this ongoing stretch of success Most particularly, they've scored 22 runs in their past four games (37 innings) combined.
For example, look out for Jose Ramirez. Ramirez enters today's game on a seven-game hitting streak. Perhaps more impressively, he has earned at least one extra-base hit in all seven of those games.
MLB Pick: Cleveland Guardians ML (-128) with BetOnline
Texas Rangers vs. Detroit Tigers
Thursday, June 16, 2022 - 07:10 PM EDT at Comerica Park
Who Starts for Texas?
Texas starts Martin Perez for tonight's game. Perez enjoys strong season-long numbers. However, it is a long season. Stats like ERA can mislead one as to how a particular pitcher is performing during a given stretch of play.
So far, Perez is off to a terrible start in June. This is, by far, his worst month of the season. He has almost allowed as many runs in two June starts as he had before this month.
Perez had made significant changes to his arsenal, becoming a new pitcher during the offseason.
However, his opponents are evidently catching up to this slightly modified Perez who is turning out to be at least as disappointing as he's always been during his subpar career.
Perez vs. Tiger Batters
Detroit's Comerica Park is, however, intensely unfavorable to Perez. In his career, Perez is 0-4 with an 8.71 ERA in five starts in Detroit.
Five different active Tiger batters are hitting over .300 in at least three career at-bats against Perez. Perez is pitching in just the wrong venue today in the sense that he would rather hope to turn things around by pitching in a favorable venue.
Look out, among others, for Victor Reyes who is 5-for-9 with a .778 slugging rate in his career facing Perez.
Detroit’s Starter: Beau Brieske
This youngster is enjoying his best month of the season despite facing tough competition -- most recently, he allowed two runs in six innings in Yankee Stadium before shutting out Toronto over the course of 5.2 innings.
Brieske looks particularly promising tonight because Texas ranks 26th in slugging .345 against Brieske's favorite pitches.
MLB Pick: Detroit Tigers ML (+125) with BetOnline
MLB Parlay Betting Picks for June 16
With your MLB picks in mind, expect strong wins from Cleveland and Detroit.
- Detroit Tigers ML (+125)
- Cleveland Guardians ML (-128)
*The line and/or odds on picks in this article might have moved since the content was commissioned. For updated line movements, visit BMR’s free betting odds product.