With two straight wins, the San Francisco Giants will have the opportunity to win a four-game series over the Milwaukee Brewers before the All-Star break. Can the Giants finish the job at home?
Milwaukee Brewers vs. San Francisco Giants
Sunday, July 17, 2022 – 04:05 PM EDT at Oracle Park
Brewers vs. Giants: What You Should Know
The San Francisco Giants squeezed out a victory over the Milwaukee Brewers last night, 2-1. With that win, the Giants currently lead the series against the Brewers 2-1 and will look to finish the series with another win tonight.
Meanwhile, nothing will be easy against this Brewers team. Milwaukee has a 50-42 record and will be heading into the All-Star break with at least 50 wins. They’ve had a solid season and would like to earn a split in the four-game series on the road.
Who Is Pitching for the Giants Today?
The Giants will send out Logan Webb, who is 8-3 with a 2.82 ERA on the season. The right-hander has been tremendous this season and currently holds a 4.02 xFIP in the last 30 days.
In those 30 days, Webb has also earned 21.5% of strikeouts while giving up just 4.6% of walks. On top of that, Webb has induced nearly 55% of ground balls in the last 30 days while also giving up just 16% of line drives.
Who Is Pitching for the Brewers Today?
On the other hand, it’ll be left-hander Aaron Ashby for the Brewers. Ashby has a 2-6 record with a 4.37 ERA on the season. He’s had some really great starts and some really bad ones, but the potential is certainly there for the young lefty.
Ashby has had a 4.76 xFIP in the last 30 days along with 10.2% of walks. However, he’s also struck out nearly 24% of batters in the last 30 days. Plus, he rarely gives up hard contact.
If he could keep his command in check, things would go very smoothly for Ashby.
San Francisco Giants
- The Giants have struck out 26.1% of the time against lefties in the last 30 days with their projected lineup.
- They’re also hitting an ISO of .244 with a wOBA of .403 against lefties in that same time frame.
- The Giants have smacked nearly 30% of line drives in that time frame against lefties
- They have limited ground balls to 34.1%.
- San Francisco will strike out many times, but when contact is made, the Giants will have serious potential.
- The Brewers are hitting a .213 ISO with a wOBA of .345 against righties using their projected lineup in the last 30 days.
- They still have above-average numbers, but will have a tough time trying to hit Logan Webb consistently.
- Willy Adames, Rowdy Tellez, and Hunter Renfroe have been the three hottest batters against righties.
- Christian Yelich and Andrew McCutchen also have numbers creeping up against righties.
Brewers vs. Giants: Game Prediction
Giants Lineup Against Aaron Ashby
The Giants certainly have the better matchup here. Ashby tends to lose command fast and has given up above-average wOBA to both sides of the plate in the last 30 days. The power has also been a bit high, especially to lefties, where he’s allowed a .300 ISO through his last 15 plate appearances against lefties.
The Giants will find their way on. Ashby could escape damage with his strikeout potential, but the Giants probably don’t need many runs with Webb on the mound anyway.
Even if the Giants only have 2 hits with runners in scoring position, that could seriously be enough for Webb against the Brewers.
Brewers Lineup Against Logan Webb
Webb has limited power from both sides of the plate and has just pitched very consistently. There hasn’t been a ton of line drives hit against him and he’s been able to earn plenty of ground balls.
The Brewers have hit nearly 46% of ground balls against righties in the last 30 days with their projected lineup, which should help Webb’s cause here.
MLB Betting Pick for Today
In this game, we’ve got consistency against inconsistency. I’ll take consistency.
For my MLB picks of the day, I’m on the Giants at -145 on the moneyline for today’s series finale.
*The line and/or odds on picks in this article might have moved since the content was commissioned. For updated line movements, visit BMR’s free betting odds product.