Undefeated knockout artist and five-time world champion Gervonta Davis will defend his WBA regular lightweight strap against Rolando Romero at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York, this Saturday night.
Read on for our complete betting guide taking a first look at the WBA regular lightweight bout between Davis and Romero, including updated odds, free expert boxing betting picks, and predictions.
Gervonta Davis vs. Rolando Romero
WBA Regular Lightweight Title Main Event Bout
Saturday, May 28, 2022 – 11:00 PM EDT at Barclays Center
Gervonta Davis Analysis
- Record: 26-0-0 | 24 KOs
Beginning his journey in the sport with an amateur record of 206-15, it’s no surprise that Davis eventually became a multiple division world champion as a professional. He’s the former IBF super featherweight champ, two-time WBA super featherweight champion, WBA super lightweight, and current WBA ‘regular’ lightweight titleholder.
Davis’s background grew up in the Sandtown-Winchester area of West Baltimore, a notoriously known location for its criminal activity – making the current champion come up with an inspiring story and one to position on a pedestal. He’s often compared to legend Mike Tyson, not just because of his harsh surroundings as a youth, but the knockout power he’s delivered inside the ring.
‘Tank’ has finished all but two of his professional bouts via knockout or technical knockout, making him the most feared 135lb fighter on the planet.
Rolando Romero Analysis
- Record: 14-0-0 | 12 KOs
Five months following the alleged sexual assault allegations, Romero has been cleared of all claims, and the initial bout scheduled between the two undefeated fighters has resumed.
Romero’s professional boxing tenure has been an unbeaten journey like his opponent. Still, somebody’s 0 must go this Saturday evening.
With an equally impressive KO/Win ratio to Davis and a height and reach advantage, Romero shouldn’t be overlooked in his attempts to shock the conscious opinion and boxing odds.
Rolando Romero Best Available Odds: +634 at Heritage Sports
Davis vs. Romero Breakdown
How Can Davis Defeat Romero?
- Davis possesses the most devastating knockout power in his weight class, and his overall boxing techniques have been sharpened under the tutelage of Floyd “Money” Mayweather.
- Orthodox fighters crack under Davis’s assaults from the complicated southpaw stance.
- A patient approach behind his jab offers an ideal defensive strategy for the champ, which inevitably leads to his fight-ending hooks.
- Davis’s power hook (left) and left jabs to the body are fight-ending shots.
- In this occasion where he’ll have another size disadvantage, I can’t envision the challenger surviving the brutal blows at a lower center of gravity that will undoubtedly come his way.
- Davis's counter-striking is second-to-none. Lightning-fast reactions, Mayweather’esk shoulder rolls, and a tendency to backpedal aim to draw his opponent's jab, which will be countered with blistering returns.
How Can Romero Defeat Davis?
- Romero will need to rely on his own power whilst attempting to keep ‘Tank’ at range.
- This will be easier said than done, but size advantages need to be utilized, especially against the elite.
- If Romero drags Davis into the later rounds, his chance of success has already heightened, as this will give his chin and durability to the incoming shots a confidence boost to outpoint the champ.
Davis vs. Romero Betting Picks and Odds
The best sportsbooks at Bookmakers Review heavily favor Davis for a reason, but wagering -1000 on the defending champion just isn’t how we approach the boxing betting market.
We’re going to rely on the rounds in this bout, and I believe Romero has the grittiness to survive at least 5 rounds where the current total is set.
Result Prediction: Davis Wins via KO/TKO (Round 7)
Boxing Pick: Over 5 ½ Rounds (-115) at BetOnline
*The line and/or odds on picks in this article might have moved since the content was commissioned. For updated line movements, visit BMR’s free betting odds product.